Greatest Oklahoma Musician?

No, but I have seen Felker do it too!

Itā€™ll probably be a while before you see Felker do it againā€¦

Heā€™s from the same town my grandmother is from in the Southeastern part of the stateā€¦ always shocking to meet anybody who made it out of there.

2 Likes

Iā€™d say Felker over Boland. Dude can write.

And Iā€™m selfishly hoping that heā€™s writing while in rehab. Bad times lead to some amazing writing and introspective things.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad that there are becoming more and more examples of sober musicians doing great work to show that you donā€™t need to be a mess to write well.

Heā€™s from Alabama but Jason Isbell is a great example of this. He battled addiction and alcoholism for a long time, but finally got sober and the dude is probably the best writer Iā€™ve listened to. He won two grammys for ā€œcover me upā€ and ā€œif we were vampiresā€. Those are two of the most beautiful songs ever written in my opinion.

2 Likes

Rhett Miller is my personal favorite sober musicianā€¦

Wellā€¦ Jason Isbellā€¦

My favorite songwriter of all time is also a very prolific user of several substances. Mr. Todd Snider.

2 Likes

On this list, Garth is by far the most influential of them. Reba & Carrie have also been great.

You younger guys really love Turnpikeā€¦ and I get itā€¦ but Boland helped define the genre.

John Moreland and John Fullbright are the best songwriters in Oklahoma going right now. Iā€™ll argue that for days.

2 Likes

So many of them have gotten sober recently. Itā€™s kinda funny listening to podcasts where Iā€™d say more than half of the musicians are now sober.

Todd even had to cut back quite a bit after hitting a pretty rough patch I think.

1 Like

Absolutely he did. I never said Boland was bad. I just think Felker is better. But of course ā€œcheap bourbon whiskey and pearl snap shirtsā€ is the first thing I think of when I think of Boland. and ā€œif I canā€™t afford you darling then I canā€™t afford to dreamā€ is what I think of when Felker is brought up.

Both immensely talented. And Cody Canada as well should be thrown in.

Incredible talent. Incredible person. Big fan.

2 Likes

Woody Guthrie. Not much historical perspective on the selections.

Stillwater music scene (Red Dirt) is vastly underrated.

3 Likes

Isnā€™t one of the Brooks and Dunn guys from Oklahoma?

2 Likes

Ronnie Dunn is considered from Oklahoma although he was born in Texas

Proud Souls is still unbeaten.

I was asking randomly, because honestly I donā€™t care about country music all that muchā€¦

ducks

I will say, though, Sturgill Simpson seems really awesome.

1 Like

Check out Paul Benjamin. Heā€™s a Tulsan doing everything he can to preserve the ā€œTulsa Sound.ā€

And itā€™s not really countryā€¦ Much more blues influenced. Roots music.

3 Likes

Nice mention of Tom Skinner. Iā€™ve known his son for years.

1 Like

This and for more modern stuff Brian Haas.

2 Likes