Gundy and direction of program

A few questions for you, and I’m not trying to be snarky, just curious. Do you think someone who is the best coach in program history is even willing to sit down and have a young AD tell him what needs to happen? I get the sense Gundy knows he is the best coach in program history and doesn’t have to answer to anybody (hence his indifferent, joking-making press conference after having just been embarrassed in bedlam by a 5-5 team). He may have so much power that he could lose bedlam 100 more times and he’d never have to answer for it. Just another honest question, is it possible to be a top 10 coach in the country and never beat your rival, losing 15 times in 18 years?

This right here is what will dictate everything. If the offense gets reset and they’re successful then this whole conversation is a moot point.

3 Likes

No per @travis5266 he was a miracle baby born several months premature. Clearly Travis was impatient from conception…always trying to hurry to the next phase of life. Clearly the same with his OkState football takes. Miracle or move on! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

No and nor should he. Chad needs to focus on our place in conference realignment.

1 Like

Bingo. You nailed the crux of my original post. I just don’t want see us being lost in the shuffle of this new era of college football.

I respectively disagree. When someone has no accountability and doesn’t have to answer to anyone they end up in a place too long and never get challenged to change even when it’s necessary.

1 Like

Yes to both of your questions.

1. Gundy isn’t running around the athletic department playing God or anything. He knows he still has to answer to Shrum and Weiberg.

2. Absolutely. This Bedlam was a bad loss optically, but OU is the bluest of Blue Bloods and we have one of the smallest recruiting budgets in the P5. I don’t even know what argument could be made that keeps Gundy out of the top 10 active CFB coaches considering what he’s done and where he’s done it.

3 Likes

My thing is we need to be playing in the Conference championship game. Maybe with OU (maybe) out of the picture finally they can. This year was absolutely awful with injuries. However, the Oline play has and is really bad. I know they were injured. You shouldn’t be losing 1 player and your entire season falls apart. The lack of recruiting that position has been evident for YEARS. We gotta come up with something to help fix that. If we need a “hog pen” NIL deal I’m down. I just want to be able to say the Oline didn’t cause that season for the first time in what feels like 12 years.

7 Likes

To Gundy’s credit, Chuba who is 30 years younger, challenged him, and he responded incredibly well. Gundy’s relationships w/ players seems much better. So, it’s possible that Chad’s words would have an impact.

6 Likes

If I ever win the lottery I’m starting a OL NIL deal the second I get that lump sum :joy:

8 Likes

Word…!

2 Likes

100% agree with this. If Gundy is willing to make the changes that I think we all agree should be made, then I’m perfectly willing to chalk this season up to a combination of a few members of staff not getting the job done combined with some bad injury luck. If Gundy doubles down, then I think it’s much harder to see why this season wouldn’t become the norm going forward. I think we’re going to learn a whole lot this offseason.

3 Likes

Just curious, but what should the performance goals be post OU/UT? Realistically we’re multi-time conferences champs without OU here

2 Likes

Preformance goal should be what’s it’s been every year since like '08. Win 10 games and compete for a Big 12 championship.

4 Likes

Agree, 10+ wins and top 3 finish in the conference every year.

That goal is the reason for this thread though, other than last year that goal hasn’t been attained since 2017.

2 Likes

I think bare minimum is being in the top 3 or 4 of the conference and in the hunt to go to the title game every year, and in an up year where we have a bunch of experience, get the job done and win it.

We are top 4 right now.

2 Likes

I agree we should be competing regularly once OU leaves. My only pushback is that we haven’t legitimately been competing for championships year in and out since 08 because Gundy doesnt beat OU…so it’s not really legit to even say we’ve been competing for championships.

1 Like

Every team in the new B12 not named Oklahoma state would dream for their occasional bad season every 7-8 years to result in a bowl game.

Oklahoma state would dream to win a title that the other schools are getting their shot at. :joy:

4 Likes

But they have been competing for them. Just haven’t won em. We’ve played in 6 (maybe 5, can’t quite remember) title games / de facto title games since 2010. That’s 50% of the past decade+. Other than 2021 and 2011, OU ruined every single one of those.

4 Likes