Gundy and direction of program

Exactly. So we aren’t really in the hunt for titles regularly because he can’t beat OU. It might look like we have a chance but if every year you lose to them then it pretty much can’t happen. 1 title in 18 years is proof. So are we “contenders”, well I guess if you want to look at it that way…but I don’t since Gundy can’t beat OU…it’s just not the reality that we are really in contention when every year we basically start the season with a loss before ever having played a game.

Soo…. Nobody has been in the hunt for titles then. At all. Because none of them could beat OU. They won 6 in a row.

6 Likes

In the same way that it’s naive to assume we’ll win bedlam because we never do, it is naive to assume we’ll fall off a Cliff. Because we never do.

3 Likes

Oh God please don’t promote another player to do that again It was good player relations improved , but that was an unnecessary shitshow that got way more disrespectful and slanderous of Gundy than it needed to be. We were fortunate Gundy was loyal and stayed after that, as many coaches would not. Gundy approached it with much more respect and positivity than any player, coach, or administrator could have possibly imagined. This shows Gundy does listen. I think Gundy’s “confidence” in pressers just comes off like he’s not listening. But clearly he does listen - listened to Dana and co on changing to the air raid, listened to Knowles on changing the defense, etc. Gundy says he does everything the “same way” for 18 years, but I think he means from procedural management and not literally. I trust Gundy will make necessary changes after a disappointing year.

1 Like

I think we have a very good program and Gundy should get a statue one day. I’m just saying he has been atrocious against OU and so conference titles haven’t been realistic

2 Likes

I can agree with that. He’s even more so atrocious than other schools are against them. At the end of the day though, Ou has ruined pretty much everyone’s title aspirations lol.

3 Likes

I’ve seen you say this so I’m curious, which one player killing us are you referring to? Because we’ve lost way more than one guy.

2 Likes

Can we compromise? Keep Gundy as head coach at all times other than Bedlam week.

3 Likes

I believe he’s talking about Preston Wilson based on earlier comments he (Stallion) made

1 Like

Haha…bring back ol Les once a year just for OU

2 Likes

Don’t even have to bring Les back. Give Gundy the week off, and bring in John Smith. :joy: He OWNS OU. :100:

Interesting question: If Gundy is top 10, and the program itself is top 10, how many other programs among the remaining 9, have a problem with beating their hated in-state rival? Or someone similar? Bama doesn’t have an Auburn issue (duh)…Ohio State doesn’t have a Michigan problem. Stanford doesn’t have a USC/UCLA problem. Georgia doesn’t have a Georgia Tech problem. Ole Miss doesn’t have a Miss St. problem. LSU doesn’t seem to have a rival, unless it’s Florida I guess? I’m having a hard time explaining it exactly, but do you see my point? No other program that we would consider top 10 would think a 3-15 record is even close to acceptable.

OU v Big 12 teams in the last 18 games (# of wins):

Texas- 7
Iowa State- 2
Kansas State- 6 (one was 2014)
Baylor- 5 (3 of those in the same years we beat OU)
TCU- 4 (2014 was one of the wins; the first in this line was 1954)
Texas Tech- 4 (one was 2011)
WVU- 3 (all time)

We haven’t been any worse against OU than the rest of the conference at large. Only KSU and Texas are truly better in the last 18 years (or games, depending on the team). We are 9-9 against Texas, I think. KSU is a couple of games better. Baylor 2 games. It pains me to say it, but OU has been a juggernaut since 2000. Everyone is atrocious against them. All this futility talk is extreme regency bias from less than a week ago.

2 Likes

Really it’s Wilson, Danny G last year. It’s like 1 goes down and all hell breaks loose. I know centers are hard to come by. This is the first year Wilson played center (what he was recruited for). It’s just hard to believe we can be that lack of depth that one goes down for a week or so and the rails fall off. I mean I get it should take a dip when your starters aren’t in, but to absolutely be a failure is a failure against your team at other positions and your fan base IMO.

1 Like

Ohio State fired John Cooper for that very reason. He went 1-9 against Michigan. I know I sound like a different poster, given what I literally just posted. The fact that we aren’t terribly worse than the rest of the conference against OU, and the fact that Gundy has a problem specifically in this game are both true.

1 Like

I gotcha. I thought you were referring to guards, when we had two guys out (Woodard and brooks being arguably the two best OL)

1 Like

It’s more just a generalization. 1 guy maybe 2 shouldn’t completely change your season.

1 Like

I think the problem with “We’re about in line with the rest of the conference against OU” is that over the past 10-15 years we’ve been significantly better than the rest of the conference. You would expect us to have a better record.

I feel like as a big underdog, we play them really well and I have no issues losing in scenarios like 2018 with Cornelius. The thing that is wildly frustrating is that we drastically underperform in games where we are better than them or pretty evenly matched.

Now, it’s tough having one of the top 3 CFB programs of all-time as your arch rival. I don’t expect a .500 record. But, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2022 were all games where we were either better or close enough to have a good chance to win. Several of them were close losses but some we just didn’t show up for.

Go 3-4 in those games instead of 0-7 and the conversation is completely different.

7 Likes

I don’t disagree overall but I don’t think 15 and 19 belong with those other ones. 15 we were a 7-5 team masquerading as a 10 win group, and 2019 we threw Dru Brown out there lol.

1 Like

Agreed on those two, but add 2010 and 2012. We were close that year as a team and made it close.

5 Likes