Gundy Cold Take Thread

Full disclosure: I do not want Miles back. But Gundy has, in every aspect of program-building, been bad for at least a couple years, if not since before then.

1. Gottlieb would be horrific and I was rooting against him.
  2. I don’t put a lot of faith in early games, but losing to Tech for us does mean that we’ll get whipped.
  3. Expecting anything other than a bad loss to OU at this point with this team is foolhardy.

To piggy back off Boone’s article a bit, I don’t mind the losses so much but how we get them. A lot of the cardiac cowboys games would have still been enjoyable to watch because we were in them the whole time and in 2015 finding ways to score with a lot of limitations. Several of the losses recently have been 2.75 quarters of terrible play and then we decide we want to win too late.

Ultimately, I just want to be entertained. Bedlam last year was entertaining. These two losses to tech have not been.

Gundy is obviously better than Les for reasons and off the field. I just want that fire going into Bedlam. Les had that going for him.

‘Who’s next’ means a hell of a lot more than ‘we did the guys in the past a disservice’. We need more impact dudes like Ford, Wallace, and Hubbard. That’s the only way you impact wasting elite talent. Have more elite talent to exact change in the outcome.

Such is the life of as a gentleman rancher and part time football coach.

5 Likes

It goes without saying to not respond to the kid, but this…is a bad look. I get being annoyed or even angry with criticism - rightful or not (to you) - but engaging with the media is a fast train to getting over-analyzed and critiqued even more.

That’s the kind of fight I like to see out of a captain on defense. Mean and gritty, doesn’t give a crap…all in. I’ll take it. Toss the article up on the bulletin board and use it as motivation the rest of the year.

2 Likes

I love it and he’s absolutely right

3 Likes

@eddy How are you feeling this morning? Losing by 10 when your freshman qb turns it over 5 times is, in an of itself, not soul crushing. But for me it’s not just this game, it’s that every season has 2 or 3 just like it. Pokes come out flat and lose to a less talented team. I guess that’s why your comments resonated with me.

2 Likes

I think KHP is looking past the issue of upper management and focusing on a ‘slam’ of the program as a whole. I think Boone’s article was meant more towards the management is tiring, because that is essentially the head and neck of the program.

2 Likes

Same as I was before. It’s predictable. It’s a script. We’ll hover between 6-6 and 10-2, trending towards the lower end of that range.

Our recruiting sucks, there’s younger hungrier coaches in the league now, and gundy seems happy to go 7-5 and get a big time win in the Texas bowl.

1 Like

If they use it as motivation, that’s great. I just get annoyed when folks are accused of not being “Loyal and True” because they give a fair criticism of the program. But, maybe he didn’t interpret the article in the same manner as I did.

Sorry brother

People have different interpretations. For a football player that’s putting his body on the line every week it’s likely a lot more personal. For me, it’s making sure I’m showing up win or lose to root the school on.

1 Like

To me, that ‘loyal and true = no criticism’ is something that I’ve talked about on this board before as a toxic part of the program. Everything in that article is fair. It’s not saying ‘fire him immediately’ or even ‘eventually’. It’s a reasonable critique (well, to everyone except that OrangeTuono jag) of the program and the flat staleness that we have had more and more over the last few years. Those are points that SHOULD be discussed. If being a ‘real fan’ means blindly accepting everything that happens without thinking or critique…well, that’s not going to happen. Nor should it. A fanbase needs all kinds of supporters, including those who call out trash when it happens. ‘Loyal and true’ as a weapon damages the ability of the program to listen and grow.

1 Like

I am tired of our HC looking like a clown.

If you’re going to sport that hair, you better win…a LOT.

As it is, Gundy’s look is embarrassing and a distraction.

Finally someone has pointed out the real problem!

2 Likes

As a follow-up to the Tweet, look at some of the responses people have made underneath it. It’s a veritable orgy of ‘no true Scotsman’ fallacy and proof-positive that there has to be room for criticism within the fanbase.

Our “real” problem is we aren’t very good. Fun to watch; but not very good.

Our head coach looks like a ■■■■ clown. That doesn’t help my attitude.

I’d go a step further and say that a part of being Loyal and True is critiquing the program. My loyalty is to Oklahoma State…not Mike Gundy.

4 Likes