Gundy Cold Take Thread

Absolutely. The second you are more loyal to a coach than a team as a fan is the second you are setting yourself to be devastated when he leaves, no matter the reason.

Please do!

1 Like

This thread is why The Chamber exists. I love it all.

I am really curious if there is a difference in opinion on Mike Gundy by age. I hated the loss as much as anybody on this thread. But I am not even close to being “tired of Mike Gundy” as vented on this thread.

3 Likes

Nothing (people or entities) gets BETTER unless the ‘hard questions’ are put on the table for discussion … my wardrobe is still orange win or loose …

I’m 43, I remember horrible teams and bottom of the conference finishes. I remember being an irrelevant team in a rusty stadium. I don’t want to glorify those years, there were more lows than highs. But there was also a sense of urgency. Every game was a must win because you never knew when the next opportunity would come. Each opponent seemed to have better athletes, and it was nerve wracking wondering if that next loss would mean permanent residency in the basement. But the goal was to be a good team- and it was exciting to try to get to the next level. Gundy coached each week like a loss would get him fired. I thought the rant was 100% classless, but it showed how much he was on the razor’s edge.

Now that goal has been met, and I wonder - where is the urgency to get to the next level? The Mike Gundy of 2007 would have taken last year’s team to be in the running to win the conference title into bedlam. But that coach is gone, replaced by guy guaranteed to lose 2 every year to lesser teams.

A Mike Gundy Team, these days, is like a Bob Evans breakfast. It’s good. It’s certainly better than starving. But I’m never going to be excited by it.

7 Likes

I love the comps saying that OSU with Gundy is like KState and Snyder or OKC with Westbrook. Your hand is forced because you have to honor them for their accomplishments and devotion to the organization. Im very scared OSU is going down the KState path and were going to have to just sit back and be happy for the next 5 years until it gets really really bad.

I don’t hate Gundy as a coach. And I think we take for granted his “bad years” mean going 6-6. For a place like OSU, that’s a huge deal. If Gundy were to leave, we could very easily turn into Texas Tech after Leach was fired. That’s probably a more likely scenerio than OSU turning into a National Championship Contender.

I’m too young to remember OSU football before Gundy, so I don’t grasp how bad it really was. But I just feel like there is so much wasted opportunity because Gundy has become complacent. Even if there is a large risk of turning into a really bad team, I wouldn’t be sad if Gundy were to retire or go elsewhere.

3 Likes

I would like to think we are better as a program than getting a G5 coordinator.

I don’t think this is viable. I think Holder would want someone who has some experience managing a program.

Podcast is up. Carson’s gundy annoyance is the best

Let me preface this by saying that I love Oklahoma State. I graduated from OSU in 2014 and have gone to all but one OSU home football game since 1995. I will continue to go to every home game I can no matter who the coach is because I believe the program is and always will be more important than the coach.

That being said, I am tired of Mike Gundy and here’s why:

When Gundy got the job in 2005 he did a lot of great things. He started by cleaning up the program and getting rid of people that he didn’t feel would fit the culture he wanted to create at OSU. He also saw into the future of college football and brought in Larry Fedora to install a spread, no-huddle offense while most programs were still huddling up and running out of the I-formation. It was ugly in 2005 but it got better every year, and our team got better every year either matching or exceeding our win total from the previous season for seven straight years hitting our program best in 2011. But then in 2012 it got weird. Monken left after taking the Holgerson offense and making it even better. Gundy flirted heavily with Arkansas to renegotiate his contract. He also hired a division III coach to run his offense out of nowhere after his previous two hires coming from Division 1 and the NFL. I Believe he did that because he wanted people to call OSU’s offense “Mike Gundy’s offense” instead of Holgerson’s offense or the “air raid.” The offense hasn’t been the same since. Even Weeden said on the podcast today that this “Looks nothing like it did” when he was playing here. For 3 straight years we had an offense that was top 5 nationally in points per game and yards per game. We’ve done that once (2017) since then. He couldn’t get along with the best offensive line coach we’ve ever had and our OL has struggled since Wickline left.
And he’s spent a lot of his time flirting with other job opportunities to get raises and extensions. Mike Gundy loves to follow a disappointing season by flirting with other jobs in order to distract the fans from his failures. Fans are so frustrated with the outcome of the season and they start wondering if a change needs to be made. Then all of the sudden reports from Robert Allen and other media sources are telling us Mike Gundy could be leaving for Tennessee. Once everyone starts say, “Don’t leave us coach” He is all of the sudden a “Cowboy for life” again. Rinse and repeat.
Now you throw in the mullet, bringing a dog to press conferences, not giving a rat’s a** about social media, saying he doesn’t care about what the fans think (pre bowl game press conference last year), fart noises, smoothies, very average recruiting and calling reporters jackass. It’s all about him in his eyes.
I no longer think he is willing to do whatever it takes to win championships (within the rules). I think he would rather go 7-5 doing things his way than go 11-1 with someone else sharing the credit. I also think he’s too conservative to take us to the next level. You can be conservative in recruiting and really aggressive on the field. Or you can be Aggressive in recruiting and get away with being a little more conservative on the field. But you definitely can’t be conservative in both and expect to do something special. That’s what we have right now.

And we’re stuck with him until he retires.

9 Likes

Everything you’ve said here is accurate and a solid summation of why so many of us are tired of his leadership. We love OSU regardless of who is in charge, which in turn is exhausting because we have no hope that we’ll improve with him at the helm. We may be stuck with him until he retires, like you said, but if he flirts with schools after this year again (also like you said, as a distraction from his failures), I will be on the front lines of ‘fire him, no matter the cost’. You can’t abuse your program’s fan-base that frequently without repercussions. Glad to have you here - go Pokes!

I’m definitely not on the “Fire Gundy” train yet, but this year and last year have been very frustrating and I don’t understand why we can’t take care of business against teams that I feel like we are better than. It would be one thing if we played consistently bad, but we’ve gotten up for big games and won some of them. It’s frustrating to watch us be competitive against Texas and shutdown KSU, only to turn around and look horrible against Tech. I thought Weeden said it best on the podcast: for whatever reason we aren’t coming out of the gate fast in the “favorable” matchups and more times than not we get too deep in a hole to comeback and win.

If someone at the beginning of the 2018 season had told me we would beat Boise State, Texas, West Virginia, and only lose to OU on the road by 1 point, I would have seriously thought we’d be playing for a Big XII title. With the loss to Tech last Saturday it’s worrying me that we trending in the same direction as 2018.

Were we ever a serious contender for the playoffs? Probably not, but there’s enough talent on this team, plus a favorable schedule that they could have been making a run at a conference championship.

1 Like

At least this thread gets a week off before Baylor comes in and lights our poop up

1 Like

My biggest complaint is the lack of self (program) awareness. Gundy was program aware when he brought in Holgerson and the spread offense. He knew we were never going to beat OU/Texas in recruiting so the spread offense was an equalizer. I don’t know why or what he’s thinking but ever since Monken left he has been morphing the offense back to a Les Miles era offense. Run it up the middle or play action and go deep. There is nothing in between anymore. When Weeden was here we had 5 receivers running routes on most plays which helps a qb have options to get rid of the ball.

2 Likes

Baylor isn’t really proven at all. Their OOC was absolutely atrocious.

Mike Gundy was the offensive coordinator for Les Miles so there you go.

They certainly aren’t battled tested like we were with mcneese state

2 Likes

They played SFA, UTSA, Rice, Kansas State who we beat and an Iowa State team that nearly lost to Northern Iowa.

We’ve played at Oregon State, at Tulsa, at Texas, at Texas Tech and Kansas State. We are way, way more tested than Baylor.

We also have way more Ls

1 Like

Yes, because we’ve played a much more challenging schedule. We will whip Baylor’s tail. It’s games we shouldn’t lose and Bedlam that are the issue.