Gundy Cold Take Thread

correct … recruiting has zero to do with the TT loss … But, to present a team completely unprepared on the field has everything to do with the TT loss … a guy paid $5M is suppose to be in touch with his team enough to KNOW if they are in the right frame of mind throughout the week of preparation … after the 3rd set of offensive … if im Dickey, i am sending every other OL on the sidelines into the game and throwing caution to the wind to:

1. Find out who wants to play that day
  2. Send a hard message to the starters
    Because after 3 set, if its not painfully obvious to those coaches by then that the current players are not in the right mind-set … then DO SOMETHING … If people at the end of a TV Tube can see it then I would ‘hope/expect’ the coaches to recognize it …

well … respectfully disagree … cable and people are not quite the same and poor metaphor … however, to your point … ‘how gundy would receive the message’ ? Corrrect, he will interpret a non-renewal either ‘as intended’ or get his feathers ruffled and lash out … CEO’s (as gundy refers to himself) get put on notice all the time … if Gundy is as smart as he likes to present himself, then come last game of the season:

1. He would not be surprise at all and fully prepared for the non-renewal … OR
  2. He is completely caught off guard … in which case, he truly is not in touch with reality of the real world

I’m just tired of the Vanilla playcalling. I can take all the rest, but that’s what kills me. You gonna grow that mullet, then let it hang. I loved when Knowles blitzed more, even when we got burned, because we finally showed some aggression.

The “they can’t learn it” line doesn’t work when Lincoln Riley (OFF) and Gary Patterson (DEF) have better schemes and outcoach OSU measurably on their side of the ball every year.

Someone asked on the Gundy radio show if they would do more under center option plays. He said probably not because you have to build the relationship between center and QB and explained why it was a little more complicated. Point taken, but what are the odds they screw up the snap? Yes they have more reps in the gun, but it’s not like taking the ball under center is a completely foreign thing. These young men are capable of more than he gives them credit for.

Gundy’s risk aversion is very high. He wants to minimize the chance for things to go wrong. But there has to be a balance between risk taking and the returns. Gundy’s buying Treasury Bonds while Lincoln Riley is buying High Growth Stocks. The players want to play and the coaches want to coach. Let them do it. Let it all hang out. That’s all I want for one game, call some new plays, throw the ball more, and occasionally bring the house on D. Pretty Please.

7 Likes

Yeah, I would be fired if I had to say “my bad” at work as often as Gundy does. It’s just a really maddening excuse. On the one hand, he’s protecting his players. But on the other hand, we see the predictable play calling and lack of in-game adjustments spanning multiple coordinators. So, yeah he owns the bad coaching and repeatedly fails to change.

It’s just aggravating to watch.

1 Like

One pushback to your t-bills versus equities analogy. It implies that Riley has a potentially lower downside, I don’t agree with that. The fact that Riley is playing with a roster, almost top to bottom better than that of almost any team in the conference and the country, means they can take those risks, have a bad day, and still beat 90% of the teams they line up against.

Riley can play risky for half a game and if everything goes to crap, is only down by 10 points at half. Then he spends the second half grinding the opponent to death, asserting physical dominance.

3 Likes

It’s amazing to me any OSU fan watching that game would want Sanders to throw it MORE. He’s close to a 10% interception rate the last 3 games.

Gundy is right in being risk averse with a guy that isn’t ready to be a starting QB in the Big 12.

2 Likes

Your point is well taken regarding risk and downside etc . … indeed, Riley can ‘accept’ more risk and does have a better opportunity to ‘mitigate’ the risk as you point out …but, the inherent downside for Riley is far greater because they are so much better …but, if Riley’s bet fails? He likely looses a real opportunity for CFP/NC …whereas, Gundy never really had any chance …

1 Like

The only other option seems to be to run Chuba into the ground, so, Yes, run shorter quicker routes. They did some of that with Tech because Tech was determined to take Tylan away. Script some plays to the slot and TE to open up the game.

The purpose of my post was to say, “Get Creative”. They have a lot of weapons, they also have quite a few weak spots. Figure out different ways to get players the ball. At this point the coaches have to know that Tylan will almost always have a safety on top of him and the other team is going to crowd the box. And after the Tech game, they will probably blitz Sanders a lot. At this point they have to get the rest of the team involved and give Sanders some quick plays to build his confidence early.

They did exactly this. Sanders was terrible in pre and post snap reads. Guys were open before and after the snap and he constantly went to the wrong side/guy. Coaches can call the right plays all day, but it’s on Sanders to execute and make the right reads. Right now, he can’t do it.

3 Likes

This has come up on r/cfb as well, and led me to actually look at where P5 teams get their coaches. The only conclusion you can draw is that OSU fans are emotionally scarred by Les leaving.

It is more likely for a P5 team to hire someone who was previously not coaching (6 teams) than someone who was already a P5 coach (5 teams). 75% of current P5 coaches were either a G5 HC or coordinator prior to becoming the HC at their current school with coordinators being favored.

The risk is that the post-Gundy hire will not be able to win at peak Gundy levels, not that someone else will lure him away.

3 Likes

Blockquote

The risk is that the post-Gundy hire will not be able to win at peak Gundy levels, not that someone else will lure him away

Blockquote

I’m not there yet … but, i would/will be ready to ‘take that risk’ of a ‘new, fired up/passionate’ HC if 2020 yields another uninspiring season under Gundy … a HC that is passionate about recruiting would be incredibly refreshing to me… instead of the old ‘wo-as-me’ attitude Gundy projects …

2 Likes

The further we get from Peak Gundy, the easier the choice gets. It’s one thing to have somewhat smoke and mirrors 10 win seasons, it’s another to have confounding 6 win seasons.

1 Like

I think this thread will be a train wreck if we lose on Saturday.

1 Like

Nuclear Bomb more apt

I kinda think it’s gonna more like,

Eh typical. At least for those of us already on the train

1 Like

Haha this is great. The infuriating part here is that he doesn’t even have to be the one to pull the trigger. That’s why you hired the Ivy League OC, member?

2 Likes

Gundy has slowly enrolled in the Bill Synder school of coaching …ie…let the other guy make the turnovers/mistakes then capitalize…I hope Gundy is smart enough to avoid going out like Synder did … where the Fan base got completely polarized …to the point that Synder did ‘overstay his welcome’ to at least 50% of the fan base …

1 Like

I don’t think Snyder had a tractor calling his name. Gundy won’t make the same mistake.

I think we need to think about Mike Gundy and Mike Dantonio and Gary Patterson in about the same light. They’ve all had similar success at their programs… built them in most cases… and have all been there for a very long time.

This question was asked in the Athletic this week.

Blockquote
**There have been rumors surrounding the Michigan State program since before the season that Mark Dantonio was thinking about retiring at the end of the season. At first that seemed ridiculous to even consider, but after watching the first half of the season, it really seems like the edge that his great Spartan teams always played with is gone and the program is sort of in a weird place right now. Have you heard any of these same rumors in your inner circles? Do you think that has had a real negative impact on recruiting so far this year (this class is the lowest rated one since Coach D took over)? Do you think this could actually happen, and if so, who do you think good replacement candidates could be?
**Dantonio has built enough goodwill with his success at Michigan State that it’s tough to imagine the school firing him even if this season turns into a complete disaster. But could I see Dantonio walking away — with a gentle push from the administration? It seems more plausible with each passing week.
**Dantonio values loyalty and continuity over nearly everything else. Continuity in particular has been the not-so-secret ingredient to his success in East Lansing. His staffers do not leave unless it is for a better (or at least much better paying) job, and the Spartans have only parted ways with one assistant because of performance issues since Dantonio arrived prior to the 2007 season. Dantonio creates a much more pleasant work environment for staffers than most head coaches at that level. Bob Stoops did something similar at Oklahoma, and Lincoln Riley has continued it. But most head coaches want their assistants grinding past the point of diminishing returns. Dantonio doesn’t. That also has inspired assistants to stay, and in the past it created a staff that was great at developing less heralded recruits because the assistants knew exactly what they were looking for and exactly how the pieces fit into the roster.
**But the potential drawback of keeping so many people together for so long is that things can get stale. That seems to be what has happened on offense at Michigan State. Instead of making wholesale changes to the offensive staff this past offseason, Dantonio decided instead to shuffle the assignments of the offensive staffers. Brad Salem went from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator/running backs coach. Dave Warner went from co-offensive coordinator/running backs coach to quarterbacks coach. Jim Bollman moved from co-offensive coordinator/tight ends coach to offensive line coach. Mark Staten went from offensive line coach to tight ends coach/special teams coordinator. Don Treadwell and Terrence Samuel swapped jobs, with Treadwell taking over the receivers and Samuel becoming the assistant defensive backs coach.
**This was supposed to stimulate an offense that ranked No. 125 in the nation last year in yards per play (4.6). It didn’t do much. The Spartans, fresh off a 38-0 loss to Wisconsin, rank 97th in the nation in yards per play at 5.3. With games remaining against Penn State and Michigan, that number could fall before a trip to Rutgers, which usually perks up even the most moribund offense.
**Dantonio tried hard to keep from having to fire a bunch of very loyal assistants. He may not have that option after this season. The question at that point is whether Dantonio, 63, would want to fire some of his favorite people and start over on offense. Or would he rather hang it up than do what he has tried so hard to avoid? Dantonio could call it a retirement and Michigan State could fete Dantonio as a coach who turned around the program and made it one of the Big Ten’s best.
**The longer this goes, the more likely it seems Dantonio will have to make that choice. Only he knows what he’d do in that situation, but it’s tough to imagine a guy who fought so hard to keep that staff together firing everyone and overhauling the offense to save himself.

I’m also hearing a lot of rumbling about Patterson from the TCU faithful (all 1500 of them).

I think that what Mike Leach told Mike Gundy a while back was absolutely correct… “if you hang around somewhere long enough, they’re going to get sick of you.”

if not ‘spot on’ … it’s pretty darn close to similar scenario …