Gundy Cold Take Thread

I wonder if it may be less about the individuals and more about the style of the coaches. Those three (MG/GP/MD) are all old-school coaches who have had success doing things their way and always and only their way in the past. However, as the game is evolving, their way isn’t the most effective anymore in terms of recruiting, coaching, playcalling, etc., but they are too old/set in their ways to change. As a result, the programs appear to be/are deteriorating because they are not keeping up with how things work currently and are past the point of being willing to adapt to revitalize things. Think of it like those universities or businesses that still demand the use of fax machines. It’s archaic and outdated, but dangit, that was how things have always been done, so there is no reason to change them now, even though it PO’s 90% of the people that have to deal with it.

It may not be an issue of competency or caring (well, it may be that partially too) - it may simply be time for the old guard to either force themselves to change and grow or to walk away before they do lasting damage to their programs. It’s an interesting thought, isn’t it?

Well… except Patterson treats his players like crap and can be pretty abusive. That’s the biggest difference.

1 Like

Literally nobody outside of our fan base thinks Gundy is old school.

He kicked off the whole “dancing in the locker room” thing after big wins.

He was one of the first to implement more relaxed practice strategies to allow for more rest.

He is always looking for new ways to optimize player performance with technology.

His thing about making sure his coaches get a ton of family time was virtually unheard of until fairly recently.

So I strongly disagree that Gundy is old school.

4 Likes

I’ll grant you that he certainly is up-to-date on some aspects (like you mentioned) and I admit I may have been hasty in going full-on with it. That being said, I’m still sticking with my old-school designation in terms of his staying with methods in some areas that just aren’t as effective anymore (e.g. recruitment targeting, his style of game management, his interactions with the media and social media). He may not be full-bore Bill Snyder-level old-school, but he’s also choosing not to keep up with the evolution of the game in some areas either. That may be a more reasonable perspective, I think.

Okay. I’ve tried really hard to be reasonable this season, even to the point of defending mistakes, but I’m done. Gundy has to go. Either he is incapable of rallying the team or he is unwilling. Either way, he is derelict in his duties and doesn’t seem to care. We were the EXACT same team against Baylor that we were against Tech. We had TWO GD WEEKS to prepare and get things in order. We didn’t change a single thing, except to add in more fade passes. Gundy is no longer capable of operating a winning team. He needs to be relieved of his duties and I would gladly contribute what little money I have to that effort. He’s worthless now and needs to go before he permanently damages this program.

Gundy has got to go…this is embarrassing.

2 Likes

We’re not firing gundy nor should we.

We’re just tired of his mullet, gonna cancel season tickets, and follow basketball closer.

Apathy sends a stronger message.

1 Like

First time I’ve heard an entire section calling for Gundy’s head. This is going to get nasty.

Gundy better have a meeting with Boynton Monday morning to learn how to recruit. Otherwise he can get the hell out of Stillwater

Last I checked boynton had a losing record and hadn’t landed any big fish for 2020. Do you know something I don’t?

1 Like

He was also handed a crap show of a program.

Dude. If mike worked 10% as hard as Boynton, we’d always win 10 games. Circling the drain. Yes haw

2 Likes

What makes you think Gundy doesn’t work as hard as boynton?

1 Like

Serious question: Which coaches in the B12 would you not trade Gundy for?

I’d trade him for
Lincoln
Herman
Rhule
Campbell.

Maybe fat pat but I think fat pat has hit the same stagnant gundy has hit.
Wells looks like a good coach so far, tech might be at 8-9 wins in a few years.

The trend is very clearly down and there doesn’t appear to be anyway to arrest the fall.

1 Like

Rhule, Riley, Patterson, maybe Campbell.

I’ll play, with the caveat that I’m cranky right now.

Riley - in a heartbeat - like, immediately without question
Rhule - yes
Campbell - yes
Herman - it’s a yes but a close yes
Miles - …I hate answering this
Patterson - probably not, but if/when we lose to TCU, that could change

Gonna change my view on these: Not this year, but give it another year like this?
Klieman - he was a monster at NDSU but it’s early so probably not yet
Wells - they kicked our butt but probably not yet
Brown - again, probably not yet

Les and Patterson. I’d roll the dice with all of the new coaches.

1 Like

There’s just no way I’ll be convinced gundy is grinding like he did in his 40s.

Or that he’s grinding as hard as Wells at Tech who has one shot to be a P5 coach and make millions not thousands.

Maybe Urban has this figured out. Grind at a spot for 4-5 years. Chest your a$$ off, take a year or two off and go somewhere else.

This is an absurdly stupid take.

3 Likes