Half Baked Ideas

How about a Home and Home with Nebraska? Drive-able game for most fans. Nebraska has a good following when they come here. Yeah, they have been Mediocre at best but would be a fun team to schedule. Also I believe they have a good fan base… I would love to schedule some Big 10 (12) teams in the future…

1 Like

@TheHeadChimp posted something about not being overly impressed with Justin Fuente and he didn’t want OSU to hire him like he does Norvell.

My worry with that is allowing Nebraska to come back into our region and start poaching the recruits again. They essentially lost all their southern recruiting pipelines when they left the Big 12 and it has cost them tremendously in the overall pulling in of talent. However, it has given us one less “big dog” to fight for local recruits.

I wish OSU would’ve had a swim team while I was a student… alas

1 Like

Yeah, because Virginia Tech hasn’t improved at all. I stand by what I said. He was decent at Memphis (bowl performance was questionable). But so far at Virginia Tech, fart.

So if Norvell losses to Penn State and then fails at Florida State (which is likely because they don’t have the resources to compete with the teams in their region anymore), will you be saying the same about him?

Pretty sure he’s not coaching the bowl game, first of all. So that’s irrelevant. If he is, that’s messed up.

Second, if his tenure at Fla State ends up not moving the needle, then :man_shrugging:t2:

I don’t know what to tell you other than hindsight is 20/20.

He has proven he can coach up lower-rated players. Now with Florida State money and facilities behind him, he should be able to attract big-time players, insert them into his offense, and blow teams up. I think he’ll give Clemson fits shortly. But if he doesn’t oh well, bad fit, didn’t work out. I don’t know what more you want me to say, honestly. It’s a risk that must be taken. It’s ALWAYS a risk that must be taken.

Do you think Fl state should have pursued someone else? If so, who?

A) I do not believe that, with your feelings towards Mike Gundy, that you were not clamoring for OSU to replace Gundy with Fuente 4 years ago the way that you’ve been clamoring for OSU to replace Gundy with Norvell. Not calling you a liar… Just find it very hard to believe.

B) Florida State has severely out of date facilities. Jimbo quotes it and his inability to raise money as the reasons he left.

C) I don’t think any program should only give their coach a year and a half to improve. They didn’t give Taggart a chance, and shouldn’t have fired him. Norvell is jumping into a pretty terrible situation that I don’t think he will be able to win… The ACC does suck… So there’s that… But I would put my chips on Manny Diaz getting Miami competitive with Clemson before Norvell doing the same at FSU.

2 Likes

A.) Four years ago, I wasn’t as done with Gundy as I am now, first of all. Second of all, when I say we should replace Gundy with Norvell, it’s in a hypothetical sense. It’s usually in response to “who would you replace him with?”. But do I outright want Gundy fired? No. I’m willing to accept some particular arguments about things Gundy doesn’t have control over, if they’re delivered in a sensible manner.

B.) Ok, and…? The Florida State name is all that Norvell needs at this very moment. Once he can build success, the money and facilities will follow. Why Jimbo didn’t get that during his tenure is unbeknownst to me. :man_shrugging:t2:

Maybe they secretly didn’t like him? I have no idea.

C.) Totally agree. I’ve already mentioned my “three-year” rule on here multiple times, and stick by it. What they did to Taggart was unfair.

I would love them to get Colorado back on the schedule. I was too young to make any away games before they fled the conference.

It would be nice for them to make a men’s soccer team and they could balance it with women’s volleyball.

1 Like

Half baked idea: Baseball season doesn’t start until after spring break and then stretches into the summer. Winter baseball is terrible.

4 Likes

Making wrestling a single semester sport is something that has been bandied about quite often too.

1 Like

I’ve often thought at least March 1st and CWS should start July 4th weekend.

2 Likes