Harold DeMarsh: The First NCAA Wrestling Champion

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/harold-demarsh-the-first-ncaa-wrestling-champion/

A look at Oklahoma A&M’s wrestling program nearly a century ago.

Great story anytime u want to do about bobby Pearce I’d like. Family

Wow!! Great story. How does a young man come back from that beginning to forge such a life…

Articles like this is how we keep the legacy of Cowboy wrestling alive.
Walking into then Gallagher Hall my first time as a freshman and seeing the huge amount of trophies in the display case from wrestling and reading the articles from the past also on display created quite an impression and led to a greater appreciation of the wrestling program and being connected to OSU. Especially since at that period of time, 1966-1970, OSU was not successful in major sports. Coach Iba was at the end of his career and had not made the necessary changes to recruit successfully so the basketball teams were an embarrassment to his past accomplishments. Football teams suffered from lacking a really good head coach and most players were undersized compared to the better teams in the Big 8. So wrestling, baseball and golf were the only teams I recall having success back then. Baseball and golf had very little following but wrestling was huge and the starters had almost celebrity status on campus. So I think that articles like this one hopefully will stir some more interest amongst the student body and increase attendance once the world some day goes back to normal.