Heather Dinich is the epitome and problem with ESPN group think

Read Heather Dinich’s ESPN+ piece, linked on Monday’s Daily Bullets. The most glaring deficiency of her analysis, and all of the other ESPN talking heads, is her downgrading of results on the field, in head to head competition, by putting “eye test” at the top of her key ranking analysis. In case you didn’t already know this, the “eye test” is a maximum of a 50% factor in deciding the outcome of a football game, while player mentality, preparation, coaching and other factors such as home field advantage play a much bigger part in the outcome. Football is so much more enjoyable when the scoreboard is the #1 factor in head to head contests, separating Power 5 conference champions with the same overall record. She struggles to do this with perennial Top 4 eye test team Ohio State and lowly PAC 12 Oregon.

As for The Big 12 Champion, to be decided over the final stretch of the season between OU, Baylor and us, there is no doubt an undefeated OU or a one loss Big 12 Champion is in the Top 4 playoff, but doubt still exists for Heather.

I have to agree with her assessment of Michigan still having a chance to win the B1G as a one loss team and they are in. Why she continues to slobber over 3-loss (in a row) Penn St is another mystery. Fortunately, the B1G schedule is set up to allow the conference champion to be decided on the field, and no amount of eye test voting will change that. Same way with the Big 12 Champion.

2 Likes

I have stop listen to espn years ago.
It’s like going to an Irish priest. U will get fffff some how.

1 Like

Just heard Bob stoops on FS1 halftime (of Utah @ Stanford game) ask his cohorts why losses don’t matter any more, in answer as to why his Sooners being ranked 8, yet they are undefeated and hold the longest winning streak of any 1 Div team. He was taking a shot at all the 1-loss teams ranked ahead of OU, and the hardest part of their schedule was upcoming against Baylor, ISU, and oSu. I thought he made alot of sense for a gooner.

1 Like

He does. An undefeated P5 team should not be 8th. Wake is what 9? They’re undefeated. If it was Clemson that was undefeated they’d be top 2 possibly 1. It is a complete sham. Having multiple 3 loss teams in the top 25 is stupid. If Cincy goes undefeated and doesn’t make it in that would be the biggest load of bullshit in CFB I’ve seen in a while.

2 Likes

The playoff committee is a joke. At this point, I would rather have the BCS poll determine the top 4 teams for the playoff. Either that or change the makeup of the committee so every conference has representation. Sadly, this probably won’t get better with the proposed 12 team playoff. Half of the playoff will be from the SEC.