How Much Optimism Should Spencer Sanders’ 2020 Finish Provide in 2021?

Shane lead the team to scores. And had no loses. I think he had nerves in the ou game and was push the ball not throwing

Yes I know but Wallace had more to do with his 39 % then Sanders.

It’s not a good thing when every time he throws I’m praying that he dosent throw it to the other team. He’s a turnover machine up to this point.

2 Likes

I agree

Not exactly. In his one start vs a non-Kansas team, the offense’s only two touchdowns came on a 66-yard TD run by brown and a clock-burning long TD run by hubbard at the end of the game. Bullock could have played well Vs Kansas, everyone does. If it weren’t for BRH’s personal foul after a 3rd down play on our TD drive in bedlam, Shane would have went 4-20 for 40 total yards. Not trying to say he’s terrible or bring him down at all, I’m just pointing that he has just as many question marks as sanders. Emotions are convincing us that he’s Aaron Rodgers.

One thing u mite think about. Sanders has been throwing pass to Wallace for 3 yrs. U would think he mite hit Wallace one time in Wallace’s stride.

I agree with that. But he had some good looking balls to stoner when Wallace was out too.

Oh I know what ur saying but not a turnover factory. Plus a true freshmen in a short pre season.

I’m also not trying to defend Sanders or think he’s great, just saying that both have pros and cons, and it’s harder than we think to pick between the two. When the offense opens up he shows how dangerous he can be, like his 17-19 start vs Miami before Gundy decided to go conservative

1 Like

I agree Shane did do a much better job of protecting the ball for sure. That’s a pro.

He doesn’t hit guys in stride very often but I think some of that is the offensive scram they run. Gundy in my opinion plays percentages and calls plays based on it and one play they love is the bomb jump ball. The percentage that you either catch it or draw a penalty.

I hope they both get better. If not I’m ready for gunner​:innocent::kissing_closed_eyes::thinking::hugs::exploding_head::cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

How many times does a reciever goes backwards to get the ball or stop to wait for it. Then the other half are thrown 2 yards to far. Come on Gundy call that. If u hit them in stride there is no jump ball

Hopefully now that they don’t have Wallace there to make acrobatic catches, he’ll go away from that and get more creative. Love to see what they do with Presley in the slot

Exactly what I’ve been saying all year.

Sanders is the opposite of my golf game (when I used to still play…). I’d play a round of 18 and hit three good shots that would keep me coming back. Sanders plays a great game but has three plays that just cause me to scratch my head and say why. He didn’t have an interception in the bowl game but had a couple of really bad throws that could have been intercepted. That being said, he appears to be a character guy and I am 70% on the optimism train that he’ll be better next year.

1 Like

Because of the offensive line, the coaching carousel, and his athletic ability, I think Sanders should be given a last chance, but Illingworth needs to get snaps with the first team in practices.

My eye test says Sanders has bad instincts and makes the wrong call too often. He doesn’t feel the rush at times and then feels it when it’s not there. He throws to the wrong guy and doesn’t see the open man. He escapes the pocket out left when there’s space to run to the right. A better line could help him stay calm. Another year of camp could help him workshop these problems. Illingworth, in limited play, seemed to make good decisions, he was just off target. I don’t know if that’s an accuracy problem or a chemistry problem with not having practice and field time with his receivers. I’m hopeful it’s the latter. I’d give Sanders a short leash.

2 Likes

Absolutely he can make the throws. In fact, there is no throw Sanders is incapable of making. He has a great arm and throws a pretty ball. Accuracy is the problem. He can’t connect on the deep throw often enough to keep defenses honest. I can’t count the number of times one of our receivers had a step on a defender and Sanders overshot him by 5-10 yards.

2 Likes

Well, he’s 9th in the country on deep ball attempts. So if OSU fans are pouting about him missing deep throws, I can only imagine what 55 of the other 64 P5 teams fans are doing every weekend.