Ian Boyd on OSU's 2020 Season

Been meaning to get to this article for literally like 50 days and finally read it. It’s as good as I thought it would be. Always fun to read a fanalyst’s perspective when that fanalyst is not an OSU person.

http://sportstreatise.com/2020/01/mike-gundy-pushes-in-his-chips-again/

4 Likes

“Ultimately the 2017 Oklahoma State Cowboys went down as one of several Mike Gundy teams this decade that fielded exceptional offenses but couldn’t find a winning margin in every big shootout and received little aid from their defense.”
The most telling sentence in the whole story! I don’t see Sanders being better than Rudolph was in '17. I don’t see Wallace being better than Washington. Even if Chuba is better than Hill, Hill was by far the best in the conference . Unless Chuba scores everytime he touches the ball then what is better than the best.
I think the problem is Gundy gets out coached. He can’t make adjustments so when they find something that he can’t stop, they can’t lose!

You mean like how Gundy thought running Chuba up the gut 40 times against Texas with no adjustments the entire game was a good idea?

Even the most basic fan can tell you that if it doesn’t work then stop trying it. I don’t think running the football down by 13 with less than 7 minutes to go in the game is a wise choice.

So what if your QB has thrown a pick or two? The run game isn’t working so you might as well try something else.

1 Like

Agree. Offense won’t be as good. However, the defense should be much better than 2017 and I think the league will be a bit down.

Gundy is pat jones with a mullet boys

1 Like

I’ve been re-reading my way through the 1988 season for some Barry #content, and I think this might be the very best take. Even the quotes from Jones appear to be right out of Gundy’s playbook.

2 Likes

Weakest schedule in the Big 12 belongs to oSu. Sure hope this doesn’t bite oSu in the rear, related to CFP, if they win a Big 12 conference title this season.

While Oklahoma State’s projected SOS difficulty is still above the national average (the Big 12 is the only conference that doesn’t feature a below-average projection), there’s a sizable gap between it and Kansas State. This is thanks mostly to the Cowboys’ nonconference slate. They start the year against an Oregon State team that had its best season since 2013, but those five seasons between were bleak. Even last year, the Beavers finished only 5-7. Then there’s a Tulsa team that has finished outside the top 80 in my ratings seven times in the last eight years. Top that with some Western Illinois, and well, what you get is the schedule that projects to be the least difficult in the Big 12. Overall: 4.71% | Big 12: -15.19%

Well at least we will finish first in something.

If we finish with 0 or 1 loss and win the Big 12, it likely won’t matter.

Will be left out with a loss regardless of the difficulty of our schedule.

1 Like

Maybe. But it would mean 4 other P5 teams finished with 0 or 1 loss and no other 0 or 1 loss teams had a head to head win against them. The odds are not really in favor of that.

Since no 2 loss team has been taken over a 1 loss team, I’m not leaping to the conclusion that will happen.

idk man every year it seems like there’s a one loss SEC team or Big 10 team sitting there and it has cost the Pac 12 for the most part. Big 12 has been saved because OU is the champ and the selection committee loves that sticker.

Yeah because we’ve never finished within the top four after a one-loss season…

1 Like

Should’ve been top 2… I’m telling you man… and I hope that I’m wrong! Make no bones about that!.. but if there’s an opportunity to keep us out, they will.

I would rephrase that… if there is an opportunity to get a bigger name/fan base team in, they will (and the byproduct is we will be kept out, to your point). Just not sure they will go out of their way to “keep us out” intentionally. Our way in is to leave the committee no debate and no choice. Our likelihood to win a tie-breaker is… not good.

Right that’s what I mean with more and better words.

If the top 6 shakes out as:

1. Clemson -13-0 - ACC Champ
  2. Alabama - 12-1 - SEC Champ
  3. Ohio State - 12-1 - Big 10 Champ
  4. Oklahoma State - 12-1 - Big 12 Champ
  5. Georgia - 11-1 - SEC runner up
  6. Penn State - 11-1 - Big 10 at-large

I don’t like our odds of getting in over Georgia and Penn State.

Now, I know that scenario is probably impossible because it’s exceedingly rare for teams to finish with only one loss… but the most Oklahoma State thing that could happen would be just that.

1 Like

You have to go 13-0 to get in anyway (if you’re OSU) so you might as well play the weakest schedule.

2 Likes

oh and if there’s a one loss USC/UCLA/Oregon as the Pac 12 champ in there then it’s 100% going to be them.

1 Like

You’re coming around on scheduling at the same time DrC is Mr. positive on the other thread? I am confused… @leecothran and I for the W! :wink:

2 Likes

Perfect. That’s what I mean with a legitimate example. Can replace many of those team names with other teams and the scenario remains the same.