Ian Boyd on OSU's 2020 Season

If it were to be so simple and straight forward…

TCU and Baylor we’re screwed by the big 12 by not having that cc game and calling them co champs. Penn State had two losses. I’m telling you, unless weird things happen in other conferences we would be in the playoff at 12-1. I understand the cynicism though. Hopefully we have a chance to play this out!

3 Likes

It is. Otherwise I’d have not been smart enough to make the list.

2 Likes

But you forgot Conference Championship. Or not, depending on the year.

It’s not all that relevant. I’m on an island thinking that’s a good thing, but I’m sticking to it.

Again I just want y’all to be physically and mentally prepared for the nightmare scenario…

OSU loses to OU in the regular season and finishes 11-1.
OU runs the table in the regular season, 12-0.

Big 12 title game… OSU beats OU… OU gets into the playoff because reasons.

3 Likes

A stated rule for the committee is to place emphasis on conference championships. This scenario shouldn’t happen, but definitely a possibility.

Until proven otherwise, I believe this would happen too. It will never be formally stated, but most will claim it was strength of schedule. Or an injury to a key player.

That’s probably right, although that’s almost what Baylor did last year. Would they have been in?

Other than a conspiracy, what’s the case for taking 11-2 Georgia or Florida over 12-1 Baylor? Georgia was just smoked by LSU, to the extent we think ratings plays a part, they aren’t going to do an immediate rematch of a non-competitive game.

Again, I agree with you. I’m not saying what should have happened but rather what would have happened.

Baylor would have been in. That’s what would have happened. The nightmare scenario isn’t an 11-2 SEC team, that’s just ESPN having to talk about something.

The nightmare scenario is:

12-1 Alabama
12-1 Clemson
12-1 Ohio State
12-1 Oklahoma State
12-1 USC

In this scenario, we only get more than passing consideration if we give both Texas and OU their only losses.

My 2020 season prediction: OSU doesn’t have a team to field at the rate we are going.