Illingworth Benefits from Full Spring after Early Exposure as Freshman

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/illingworth-benefits-from-full-spring-after-early-exposure-as-freshman/

Illingworth showed out in the Spring Game.

Saying the rite stuff. With a better line. I mean look at weeden. He has a better touch . When he gets in he will be good.

Right now, I vote Sanders over Shane directly because of the speed difference. They’ll both make throwing mistakes and misreads, but with as laughable as our pass blocking has been, Shane would be a sitting duck with that 6 flat 40 speed he had last year. That being said, if he can improve his speed then I wouldn’t mind benching Sanders for Shane, assuming Sanders keeps pressing issues like he has been the past few seasons. It’s tough because at his best Sanders will give more than Shane ever could, but at his worst he’s way more damaging in there than Shane would be. Nice to know we have two viable options though.

I agree Sanders can be way more dynamic but if he’s not any better I’d go with Shane. I get your point about our line but Shane didn’t get sacked that much last year because he made his reads and got the ball out quick. Sanders tends to hold it too long and not get through his progressions resulting in more sacks, more errant throws resulting in picks and ultimately him getting hit more which is why he misses 3 games a season.

2 Likes

If they would ever put quick reeds in again (slants, like the Weeden era), then Illingworth is the better, more accurate, qb. If not, then unfortunately, we need a qb that can scramble.

Hopefully with the speed we have out of the slots this year, we get back to sinking and dunking, to set up the deep ball.

1 Like

Well if a couple of sacks is the difference, it could be closer in fall.
Its been a long time we have seen a bomb thrown with out stopping or backing for the ball
One thing, shanes throw not going to be defended or picked.

The Mullet’s seniority system is alive and well.

1 Like

No, that high light of him hitting Brayden Johnson was perfectly in stride. It’s hard to hit guys that perfectly 50 yards down field and we’ve seen him do it more than once.

1 Like

I think that would actually help Sanders more than Shane. Sanders gets into trouble when he holds the ball too long. He can’t take a sack or throw the ball away so he ends up launching jump balls into piles of defenders instead. If they get him going on quick reads and spread formations, he’ll eliminate a lot of the plays that make him questionable as a starter. I mean, they changed to more 5 wide and spread formations in the last two games of the season, and he went a combined 32-38 for 421 yards and 5 TDs and zero picks in the first quarters of those two games, and we led 21-0 and 14-0 at the end of those two, before Gundy started sitting on the ball. If they can keep him moving at that speed, he could be dangerous. Either of them could, honestly. It’s on the coaches to put them in a position to do so.

Thats my point. I was think of the Owen and bray long passes.

Technically Illingworth is still a freshman.

Agree, Short passes will help any QB (Sanders included), but he has shown not to be accurate on the short passes (his screen passes always had Tylan jumping or almost going to a knee).

I completely agree with this. I see a lot of people saying his deep balls are awful, I disagree. I think his deep balls are typically pretty accurate, and he’s hit a bunch of them. It’s his short ones that are needing work.

1 Like

To many times the receiver had to adjust to the pass.
Yes ur rite the pass was completed but whom played the bigger part?

Sometimes, sure. The average NFL starting QB completes 34% of passes longer than 30 yards. Kinda hard to expect Sanders to be throwing perfect deep balls every single play. But on a whole bunch of Wallace “deep” balls, the ball was thrown to the outside shoulder for Wallace to turn and adjust outside of the defenders chest direction on purpose. You see NFL teams do this probably 5-6 times every single game. He and Tylan were pretty good at it, and when Tylan was out he and stoner did the same thing against Baylor.

1 Like

His issue isn’t throwing the deep ball, it’s trying to throw the deep ball on every single play. He’s gotta learn that sometimes 6 yard dump offs are just as effective as attempting go routes if you do it continually.

Called a back-shoulder fade. We didn’t really throw many slants to Tylan. It was mostly those B-S fades, jump balls and bubble screens.

1 Like

Yeah for sure. To be fair though, slants typically require someone with speed and he’s not the fastest of them (supposedly he was the slowest of any starting WR) and with injury proneness maybe they didn’t want him hung out to dry over the middle. But then again they didn’t really throw slants with anyone, which was incredibly stupid.