Instant Recap: Oklahoma State Tops Iowa State 24-21

They didn’t. Penalties offset would should have been 38 offensive points, and they were playing the best defense they will see the rest of the season. Also, 120 out of 120 coaches in D1 football would run the ball when they’re up 2 possessions with under 5 minutes left. Especially those with Chuba Hubbard in the backfield. Gundy doesn’t need to apologize for not running a 2 minute offense late in the 4th quarter when the goal is to burn clock lol. Also, this isn’t the same air raid offense look osu used to have. It’s predicated by the run, and rightfully so considering they have one of the best backs in the country and a less than stellar decision maker at QB, who also happens to be a great runner. Gundy has played too conservative too many times to count throughout his career and a bunch of them have came back to bite him, but he played his cards exactly how he should have Saturday. No need to let sanders throw another pick when your up 10+ and Chuba is getting 5-6 yards per touch.

The guy had thrown 2 passes in the past calendar year. He came out against probably the league’s 2nd best defense (behind us) and accounted for 305 yards of offense and a 71% completion percentage. To add to that, one of his two picks was deflected at the line. He’ll be fine, just needs to be a tad bit quicker with decisions on some plays. That’ll come.

They went conservative and started running the ball every down except 3rd and long at 8:44 in the 3rd quarter. For everyone who thinks it can’t turn around, go back and watch the Texas Bowl against Texas A&M. Up 14 to 0 then they scored 24 unanswered points.

I do hope that is the case, rust. But he is 6’1",tipped at the line is something he will have to contend with. Isu did really pressure to much. So down the road with more blitz will he throw in to coverage. Yes he had great numbers. Time will tell. He also didn’t shine in the 2 series with tulsa. Fumble and to a sack ( the could have thrown it away. The fumble was a bad snap should he pulled it in a run. The sack should have thrown away. Throw in double covers. I do see what ur saying, and hope it rite

I don’t know if u saw my other post. I point all bad things out and said overall wasnt that bad. His picks 5 bad penalties and 3or4 defense brake down. I love this team I think it’s the best in big 12, but it’s not good to over come alot of miscues. Look at all the close games thur out the league.

1 Like

That’s true. I think that’s why they kept rolling him out toward the sideline on most passes, he doesn’t have to worry about getting the ball over the line. Ironically, that’s how the tipped pick play went. He rolled out and an incoming LB got a hand on it. I personally think the fumble was Chuba’s fault. I know it was a bad snap but sanders still got the ball right into the chest of hubbard and he just lost it.

I agree, I think this game could have been 38-14 or 41-14 without our self imposed mistakes, something like that. That being said, it shows how good we are if we can have that many miscues and still win against a top 20 team semi-comfortably.

We were using a backup QB in that game and Hubbard was averaging over 8 yards per carry… I’d argue we lost that game because he kept trying to pass too much. Brown barely had over a 50% completion percentage against A&M.

Also, I went back and checked drive summaries from Saturday. They threw the ball more on 1st and 2nd down in the 2nd half than they did on 3rd down. Wallace had two penalties that killed drives, one on a go route and one on a long TD run. So the whole “only passing on 3rd and long” take is not true. They only got the ball 5 times from the 8:44 mark on. Two of them ended up having scores called back due to Tylan penalties, and one was kneeling the ball at the end of the game. So on half of their drives in the time span that you are referring to, they scored on. Penalties just pulled them back. And on all of them, sanders threw the ball more on 1st and 2nd down than on 3rd down, which completely opposes what you said.

1 Like

That opens up another can worms Hubbard been involved in all 5 fumbles lucky enough oline got 3 of them. Wallace interference call was bs, but his other two were bad. We keep our miscues low like we’ve been doing were fine.
Ur last post was good and full of facts. Unfortunately if something goes wrong there are alot want to blame Gundy. They can can take one play and make a large mole hill​:upside_down_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::hugs::exploding_head::innocent:

Was bored on sunday watching tv. Went through all of Gundy’s losses. He lost 9 games where he lead in the 3rd. Unbeknownst to most the 4th qt still is 15 min. 4 of the games came in season 2 and 3. 5 where in 7 and 6 season. Only 3 or 4 where losses fits losing at the end. One thing I do know he never lost a 21 or lead like riley did( ksu). Can’t remember how big the lead was in the isu. Texas was another, yes did win that one.