Instant Recap: OSU Survives, Beats UT-Arlington 75-68 in Cade Cunningham's Debut

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/instant-recap-osu-survives-beats-ut-arlington-75-68/

A W is a W for the Cowboys.

While we might look mediocre now, the good news is that Boynton teams and players often show dramatic improvement over the course of a season…

You mean they don’t regress like a Gundy coached football team?

I agree. I really like the potential of this team. They just need a few more games together to really gel in my opinion. I do like how it looks like an actual team playing and not just one individual. I’d say they tried to share the wealth as much as possible to everyone on the floor.

Kalib Boone was sleep-walking…not encouraging.

This team is going run up and down and fire up shoots and hope they go in. If not for Cade this team would have lost today. MAM has a chance to be a nice player. 7-25 from three and 7-17 from free throw line isn’t going to get it done in the big 12.

I was being sarcastic. I think Boyton is a significantly worse coach than Gundy. I think they both need the boot. Gundy’s players at least improve over their time in the program, even if his teams do not get better over the course of a season. Boynton is unable to do either. Of the few players who haven’t been run off, none of them got better under Boynton. Waters, McGriff, and Dziagwa made virtually no improvement from sophomore to senior seasons.

I actually do not think Gundy is a terrible coach. I just think he has gotten lazy, the program has plateaued, and he no longer has the energy/creativity to get us over the hump. I think Boynton is a bad coach.

Gundy’s players don’t improve until an NFL coach gets a hold of them (Ask Tyreek Hill and Chris Carson). If Gundy would’ve gotten his way he would’ve sent Weeden packing in 2010 and started Alex Cate at QB. You better be glad Holgerson was able to stop it.

He DID start Cate at one point. Weeden bailed us out at home vs CU in the second half. That was the real intro to B-Weeds!

1 Like

Alex Cate transferred before fall camp in 2010. I am objective about Gundy’s strengths and weaknesses as a coach, and have generally considered player development to be a strength. How else do you win 9-10 games every year with below average recruiting classes?

Not trying to defend Gundy here, but you make it hard when you hijack every thread with Gundy hate.

On a more mundane note, I had to go up to the attic to bring down my sunglasses because those orange uniforms were so harsh to the eyes. Not a good look and I would prefer to see OSU on the uniform instead of Cowboys. And please, no more turquoise uniforms which I consider to be at the level of camo uniforms.

Boynton’s offense has always looked like back yard ball with no flow and it’s concerning. What really baffles my mind is that coach Sutton is part of this too! Makes no sense to me.

Maybe coach Sutton is giving Boynton bad advise to tank him so he could be the next coach? I don’t know

Every single time they started doing exactly what the announcers suggested like taking the ball deep in the paint to break the zone. Let ice drive and Flavor and Boone make a few 3’s. It will be good.

Turquoise serves a purpose. It’s part of the commitment to honor Native American heritage month, which I’m all for. I know Lindy Waters III appreciated it, and on a broader spectrum, Oklahoma State University does a great job helping our Native American students find scholarship opportunities and graduate.

Holgerson was here before fall camp of 2010. Cate knew he had no chance with Holgerson running the offense. That’s why he transferred. Had Gundy been more controlling like he is now then it would’ve been a different story. Alex Cate would be starting every game while Weeden stands on the sidelines with a clipboard. Based on Gundy’s past evaluations of starting quarterbacks. He would’ve rode Cate to the very end and neither of us would’ve know how good Weeden really was until Holgerson came along.