Kaden Gfeller Returning to Wrestle Another Season at Oklahoma State

Originally published at: Kaden Gfeller Returning to Wrestle Another Season at Oklahoma State | Pistols Firing

Oklahoma State will be getting some additional help from a two-time Big 12 Champion this season. Kaden Gfeller, who announced last year he would not be returning to wrestle again, has been added back to the online roster for the Cowboys. Gfeller won two Big 12 titles for the Cowboys at 149. Last year after winning the Big 12 Championship, Gfeller stated the NCAAs would be “his last one” and that he had a baby on the way. Gfeller, who has one year of eligibility left because of the pandemic, was added back to the roster on Wednesday and is also listed as enrolled on the Oklahoma State online student directory. He will be returning for another season with the Cowboys. Gfeller competed at 149 last season and is still listed on the roster at that weight, but many believe he could possibly go up to 157 next season. Here, you can watch his emotional interview after the Big 12 tournament last season.

1 Like

Well ok. Can he keep his mind in it. Not get hurt. And stay competitive in a new weight class.

1 Like

Interesting both Gfeller and Sheets returning. And some sources seem to think Whittlake going up from 165 to 184. If Wittlake going to 184, is Wyatt Sheets at 165 and Gfeller at 157? Lineup will be interesting.

3 Likes

Best news our wrestling team has had in ages. Can definitely get All-American status. Believe you can win a natty, Kaden!!!

2 Likes

Interesting how some NIL money can bring someone out of retirement. I remember seeing an interview with John Smith when someone asked about Gfeller not returning for the next season because he had to get a job to support his family. John Smith answered with, “I think there’s a way for him to come back and be able to take care of his family.” Not an exact quote. It sounds like good news, but I hope he’s not burned out with the sport by now.
It will be a different Big 12 tournament because of the addition of Mizzu. Horrible season last year for the Cowboys because of injuries.
It’s never too early in the year to be talking Cowboy wrestling.
My most pressing question is, where will A.J. end up if not in prison?
Does he go directly to professional wrestling where he can be himself as the true showman that he is?

2 Likes

Is there anyone in the room that can beat out sheets?

2 Likes

Just being honest here, I don’t think any of the lineup wrestled to their potential. Don’t know what was going on but uninspired, no gutting it out kind of baffled me. AJ was a cancer from what I heard. No one liked him, that can destroy a team.
AJ won’t get a team to bring him in now, too much dirty laundry. If he goes anywhere it’s WWE
I can’t remember us ever losing as many matches as last year , ever

2 Likes

I seriously doubt NIL money for wrestlers will be enough to support a family. Does he already have a kid or kids? Have you heard what wrestlers will get w/ NIL, I haven’t seen anything???

AJ might have to go to UCO or some place like that. I could see him at zerOU, they’d probably take him. But not a lot of Div 1 programs, what with his issues.

I wish the kid well but he hasn’t shown a lot of improvement, has he? I think he’s got a bad knee…but I knew he wouldn’t be anywhere close to being as good as his pops. That would be a tall order. I wonder if Mike thinks choosing to live where he does, in a small town and thus not as good of competition, didn’t do his two sons a favor? But a vet has got to go where he can carve out a client base…I’m not condemning you, Mike, if you read this! :innocent:

Don’t think AJs status is important anymore. He’s gone, let him go. Discussing his future doesn’t affect OSU wrestling positively in any way. We can be glad he’s gone and just move on.

I think sheets and gfeller will be good to have in the room. Selfishly I’d rather see our young guys go in the lineup so they can start getting experience. We’re still a young team so the sooner they start taking lumps the better. Carter for example should be way more of a burden for his opponents this year. Gfeller has a 50/50 chance of AAing. Sheets, i don’t know. Love his heart but I think we’ve seen his ceiling. Maybe not. I just want him to teach everyone his leg ride! Kaden has a higher ceiling I think. It will be interesting to see if John lets guys move up like Wittlake to 184, Gfeller to 157, Sheets to 165. I’ll be bummed if we don’t see Haas in the lineup, he seems to have a ton of potential. Surber should do well back down at his natural weight class and if Doucet goes at heavy that will be cool because he’s another young guy with tons of potential.

2 Likes

Big 12 tournament will be different with Missouri for sure. But it’s what we’ve been wanting for many years, more competition in the Big 12. Well now we have that and we’re no longer a shoo-in for winning the conference championship. So we can hope that our squad is antsy to get back on top.

2 Likes

I think the question with Sheets is his injuries. Not best foot speed to began with, but knee injuries have really hurt his ability to wrestle on his feet. Gfeller also somewhat slow foot speed, which is why he often went to his knees in matches. Have some good young guys at 149 and 157, Voinovich at 149 and Mechler at 157. Plus Mastro’s younger brother (at 149 or 157). I would prefer to go with young guys as I think they have more upside

1 Like