Let’s take a breath basketball

the team’s results during those years had very little to do with Cobbins imo.
Ford’s offense was 3 hand-offs at the top of the 3-pt line then launch a prayer (even when Cobbins was healthy). Whether that was by design or just a lack of execution - Ford allowed it.
And Smart was so undisciplined. A no-nonsense coach like Eddie (or Boynton to an extent) would have been able to reel him in a bit and get much better results (instead of missed 3 after missed 3).

1 Like

This whole conversation is both interesting and a big wait & see because we aren’t going to know how it plays out until or have an idea until Mr. Cunningham is on campus (and potentially some running mates if his recruiting goes well.) But for me on my thoughts of who I’m going to remember more, a Cam McGriff or Cade Cunningham, for me it will be Cunningham. The reason why is that basketball is the sport where elite talent transcends the most. If Cunningham is as good as the NBA scouting experts think he is, he’s going to not only be one of the best players in all of college next year but potentially an NBA superstar in the future. If all those things happen, that’s going to open a door for OSU in basketball recruiting. Just look what’s happening 80 miles south of Stillwater with two straight Heisman trophy winners and #1 NFL draft picks (makes me sick to my stomach). You can’t buy that type of prestige and publicity.

From a pure entertainment standpoint, it’s no question who is going to be more fun to watch. I appreciate our three seniors loyalty to the program through essentially 3 coaches (if you count the one who recruited them). But Cade Cunningham is a guy that people will pay good money to see for hopefully 15+ years because he has that talent. We already have one of those types on campus already in Chuba Hubbard. I know this is his 3rd year on campus but if you think about it, he’s only going to be the man in Stillwater for this season (can count 4 games of last season if you want). In 10 years, no one is going to be saying, “Well Chuba was only the starter for 1 year at OSU. For me, I think I am going to remember Desmond Roland more as far as OSU RBs go.”

While I do think Cobbins was important to the on-court dynamics of that team (and perhaps even off-court as well based only on my impression as a distant TV-watcher), I 100,000% agree with you on the three man weave offense that they ran being a major issue. That drove me crazy! Sure looked like the offensive design to me.

1 Like

If the rest of the team is good enough, then yeah. If OSU is as bad this year as last year, and as bad next year minus Cunningham, then we won’t be any good. I sincerely doubt that we’ll be that bad. If our freshmen this year contribute and push us into the tournament, we should be able to make a pretty good run in the one year we have Cunningham.

Big picture, though, yeah, I don’t think Cunningham alone does much. If he causes the program to be seen as the place for good players to spend 4 years, and elite players to spend their one year, OSU basketball will be in a really good place because of him. However, Davidson was really good when they had Curry, what happened after he left?

The thing that it seems like to me is the students do not realize just how big of a difference they make (alumni included) when that place is rocking or even at 75% capacity the team plays exponentially better. Part of being a winning program is showing up and filling up, wins will follow suit.

For background I graduated in 2016 so in my time at osu we made the tourney 3 of 4 years but still people never really got it and bought in, they are starting too now. Once theyre fully bought in it will take a lot to get them off.

One of the most fun games I attended was the bedlam Ice storm game where they opened it up for free to all locals who could make it. The stadium was only 60-75% full but it was mostly students and it was LOUD. Was a fun experience.

Never went to a game in the original arena but I was in the current GIA that was sold out in 2004… so loud. All the babies had noise reducers.

2 Likes

After the reading the article about cooling our jets… I began to realize how absurd it was. Will a top recruit make a team a blue blood overnight, unlikely. But it will give a team recognition for a few years around that time the top recruit was on campus… It might even get us into the final four if we are lucky.
Off the top of my head top recruits on non-blue bloods, I think Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, Carmelo Anthony, Greg Oden… I also think Florida had some good recruits during their run. All those guys brought notoriety to non blue blood schools and some got them to the final four.
Cunningham could make us relevant for a few years if he lives up to the hype. Best case he turns us into Villanova. Always relevant. He’ll certainly get us on ESPN more often.

If there is a game changer, it is Coach.

If we become a consistently very good program again, it’ll be because of the work of Coach Boynton. Cade won’t be the sole reason for any banners that are raised, but I’m psyched to watch what he contributes.

2 Likes

But here’s the thing, let’s look at what Cade can do for us in the future:

He can occasionally visit the Texas Titans team (or Montverde) and talk about playing one year for Coach Boynton, and how it was a great experience that helped him along his journey. He has basically created a high-profile recruiting channel for us, for the foreseeable future. Now for 2021, any of the top-rated players will (hopefully) consider OSU, unlike previously.

His OSU time doesn’t start and end with his playing career.

1 Like

I lived in Tuscaloosa for 4 years. I hated going to people’s houses on Saturdays. They’d be stressing when the score was 0-0. :flushed:

I loved watching the Weeeden/Blackmon and Rudolph/Washington teams at Ok State. Always exciting, pretty hopeful that we could hang, and if we didn’t…well, we’ve never gotten the National championship anyway so go get ‘em next time.

I am an eternal optimist when it comes to the pokes. So, I believe hiring Cade’s brother will help us and him in his career and our recruiting. I also hope that Cade signing with OSU and the legit pokes fans who want basketball back will show up and get loud and entice kids to play here. I think we are on the right trajectory and Boynton is as solid as they come in my eyes. I know we have kicked a lot of guys off the team, but we are about Cowboy Culture on the football team and we should be happy it is enforced on the basketball team. Cade may not be program changing, but he may be a marker showing we are on the right track.

1 Like

Some friends of mine and I are trying to set a date for a basketball game in February-ish. I plan on going absolutely insane and trying to get the student section going insane as well.

No breaths for me - sweet 16 this year
Playing for natty next
I’m all in
Now if it doesn’t happen it won’t impact me one way or the other, never going to allow my enjoyment of life to hinge on the outcome of young men busting their asses who may have bad days at the wrong time.

4 Likes

That’s where I’m at. Fully immersed in the orange kool-aid, don’t even care.

4 Likes

A full GIA in the best sports experience around.

1 Like

I’ll be looking for the middle aged man that’s had one too many beers in the student section. :rofl:

1 Like

It would be hard for most OSU fans to argue that. Question for debate: Which is better, a full GIA for Bedlam, or a full GIA while playing Rock Chalk? For me, it’s probably KU now, but back in the Eddie/Sampson days, Bedlam bball in GIA was fantastic.

2 Likes

My friends and I have spoken about getting together and re-living the experience.

I may go myself, sit in the student section, and yell at everyone when they’re being lazy. Do the “WHEN I USED TO COME TO GAMES” routine.

“Do you kids play Fortnite?”

1 Like

The best is to mock KU fans with their stupid end-of-game chant when they’re losing.

I get more excited to play KU for sure.

1 Like