Lincoln Riley on Future of Bedlam: 'It's Our Hope That We Can Continue That'

Honestly everyone needs to quit worrying about potential non conference games with OU and start worrying whether or not we can land in a P5 conference, it’s boom or bust. We’ll definitely need bedlam to continue if we don’t land in the pac 12

3 Likes

Matt, you are spot on! This is exactly how I feel about it. I’ve been invested in Bedlam for over 40 years and honestly hate to see it go. However, OSU needs to have enough self respect to just say no. There may be some financial benefit but not enough to forgive OU.

2 Likes

U have be littled me. Oh yea u think ur funny.

Ok, how does OU “gain in the PR Dept” by playing OSU? Once in the SEC, respectfully, OSU will be about the 6th, 7th or 8th best game on their schedule. How much PR does Clemson gain by playing South Car? Or Georgia by playing Georgia Tech?

And in recruiting? Ok, that’s completely incorrect. I’m going to give you a little insight on how that goes as ive gone thru it recently. There are angles coaches take when recruiting a kid. Proximity to home. Conf. Style of play. Exposure. Getting them to the NFL. Depth chart. Those are among the most important pitches. OU isn’t selling a prospect on “you’ll get to play against OSU”. Bedlam won’t be a National game. Bedlam won’t be the massive recruiting weekend that OU would use. It’s not the game that OU would build an entire weekend over. And for in-state recruits, they don’t need to sell them on Bedlam. OSU……absolutely can do that. They DO IT NOW. They structure the season ticket package around it. They structure recruiting weekends around it. They tell prospects they can play against OU. They can beat OU. Your family can come watch Bedlam. OSU needs Bedlam for recruiting EXPONENTIALLY MORE than OU does. OU goes National for the most part. OSU is regional. And losing your marquee matchup……really, really hurts them.

As far as scheduling a home & home with every season……OU doesn’t need to schedule a non-con with OSU if your home schedule will consist of LSU, Bama, Tennessee, Arkansas, or some others.

As for your .8 increase or decrease, that’s irrelevant to me.

Tell me who you think OSU would be capable of getting to replace OU every year that would be as good or better for the program?

Here is the most uninformed thing you’ve said. “We don’t need an OU out of conference game to bolster our strength of schedule”. Ok, that’s absolutely ignorant. Again……who are you going to get? OU went to Tennessee. Norte Dame. Ohio St. Florida St. Alabama. Oregon. Why? BECAUSE IT STRENGTHENS YOUR RESUME. It also is a marquee game to sell recruits. It’s a marquee game to sell your fans. Dude, you are completely wrong

I like how u say things r irrelevant to u and blow them off. U dnt get ou is irrelevant to us we have over on. U need too.

Dude, why are you so freaked out about this? I would understand being smug because, of course, I and almost every single other oSu fan would trade every part of your history for every part of ours other than Barry Sanders. But, why are these points so important to you?

You’re going to have plenty of new fanbases/programs to lord over in the SEC. I’m just saying that I’m good without it - come what may.

1 Like

Dude……I’m not freaked out. Every time a person disagrees with you or points out something that you’re wrong about isn’t an indication of them being a freak out. I’ve told you, I enjoy the discussion. It helps pass the time between fracking sites and safety briefs.

OU isn’t going to lord over anyone in the SEC. I think the ceiling while Saban is still at Bama is for OU to be Georgia. They likely could be A&M. But that’s the floor in my opinion. Riley, Joe C and the people leading the university are too good at their job for it to fall further than that. I respect OSU and always have. I will say that some of the people on here remind me a lot of the bad OU fans though. I got into a fight at a urinal @Arrowhead Stadium in 2003 with an OU fan……& I’m an OU fan.

The thing is we have all been answering u questions. They may not be the answer u want.
First ur coming from.ou side. Look at r side ou game is a big game. But in the end its one game. We are concerned about 13 games.

Well you are wrong, If OSU was beholden to OU I don’t think we would have seen the comments from OSU leadership that we have seen. OSU needing OU is not a “fact”. It’s your opinion and an extremely lame one at that.

1 Like

Well I wouldn’t call it butt hurt, OSU is hurt though, from the knife wound in the back. Yea other than family and other personal relationships (my sister is an OU grad) I don’t think we (OU/OSU) can be considered friends at any level any more so please keep that in mind in case someone goes scorched earth in the comments on something you said.

Lol Im die hard Oklahoma state fan always will be, but I can’t get mad at a university for for bettering themselves Ou and osu are not business partners, you can be upset all you want but it’s really not gonna change anything. It’s time to move on and find a way to get in the pac 12 and create a new identity as an athletic program

2 Likes

Ok, it’s called leadership. Dr Shrum is doing exactly what she should……rallying the troops. When Lebron left Cleveland for Miami, Dan Gilbert roasted him. Said they didn’t need him. Good riddance. His fans and Cleveland loved him at the time for it. Then what did he do? He turned around and signed him down the road. It’s what you do to save face & change the narrative. OSU needing OU is absolutely fact. Don’t take my word for it. Listen to people that aren’t being paid by the university speak. Or better yet……wait and see what happens. It’s not just my opinion bud. It’s the opinion of everyone who has a clue as to how these things work.

Go read what Bowlsby said about the TV revenue. “OU and Texas are responsible for bringing in HALF of the revenue for the Conference”. HALF. That means the remaining 8 are similar to what OU & Texas are. As an OU fan, I readily admit how much OU needs Texas. It’s the truth. But for some reason, you can’t see that OSU needs OU just the same. Ignorant

Sorry Yo1, your butt hurt comment sounded like you were just an OU troll here. My mistake and I take back what I said. peace!

Don’t know about OU needing Texas although I would be inclined to say no to that as well. If OU and Texas stopped playing I’m pretty sure that OU would be just fine. Same goes with OSU needing OU, OSU will be just fine without OU. That’s my opinion because there are no absolute facts that say what the outcome really will be. Same goes for all your blather, you can cite people, numbers, and all kinds of other BS but none of it is definitive and therefor isn’t fact, just an opinion same as mine and you know what they say about opinions.

Sorry if it sounded like that Bruce I’m just saying we need to move on and figure it out ya know

Where is and has been OU’s recruiting grounds over the history of the program? Texas. That’s why they need Texas. You continue to show a lack of knowledge on how recruiting is done & how important it is to the success of a program.