Marshall Monday Live Q&A - Sept. 16

Seems like Gundy is pretty committed to Sanders at this point, but if he is slow out of the gate Saturday in the biggest game of the year thus far, do you think Dru gets any run?

Seems like the play calling has been on a slight decline from week 1. Any thought that Gundy might let Gleeson cut loose a little more in week 3?

For the first question, I think Gundy is going to let Sanders have as long a leash as he needs. Gundy talked about Sanders getting frustrated postgame against Tulsa and said it was coming from a competitive place of wanting to be better. That’s something that Gundy said you let him keep competing through. I think the only way he gets pulled if he goes out and throws a lot of picks and gets frustrated in a unhealthy way, which I don’t see happening.

As for the second question, it’d be tough to speculate, but it’s interesting for sure. I think it’s just more a matter of Tulsa’s defense being much better than Oregon State’s, though.

What’s your Texas for Dummies scouting report for anyone who hasn’t watched this team play much this year?

If OSU wins big, it will be because they…

If Texas wins big, it will be because they…

At what point does OSU try to scoop up a shifty corner to play running back? Texas moved over a QB signee to play RB because lack of depth. Seems like we might get there fairly soon.

I haven’t dived too far into Texas yet, but I’d say:

OSU wins big if it plays a fundamentally sounds game. The Cowboys aren’t going to go to Texas and out-athlete the Longhorns like with the teams in the first three weeks. They can match them in some spots, but not across the board. Texas has some injuries to its secondary, but they will still be athletic.

Texas wins big if it keeps OSU’s offense off the field. The more chances you give Spencer Sanders, Tylan Wallace and Chuba Hubbard, the more you’re going to get burned.

It really hasn’t been too big a problem right now. It obviously becomes a huge problem if Chuba gets hurt, but Big Ten and SEC teams do this with their running backs somewhat often. It’s just weird that it could happen at Oklahoma State in 2019. He could just have a ridiculously monster year. Gundy seemed to think LD Brown could turn his fortunes around today. Here’s what he said:

“LD (Brown) needs to run. He’s chopping his feet, looking around, he needs to run. That’s his strength. He’s fast. He’s not as comfortable, in my opinion, as what Chuba is right now. … He should be preforming better than he is, and I think he will. He’s just a little unsure right now. We need him to stick his foot in the ground and go north.”

But for the fun of the question, I’ll mention that Devin Harper played running back in high school. He’s missed the first three games with injury but he suited up against Tulsa.