Matt Rhule Leaves for the NFL, What Does it Mean for Oklahoma State

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/matt-rhule-leaves-for-the-nfl-what-does-it-mean-for-oklahoma-state/

Rhule is gone, how does this affect the Pokes?

1 Like

That recruiting ranking tells me he knew he was gone a long time ago

2 Likes

This is huge for oSu! Rhule is a helluva coach and him bolting leaves the door wide open for the Cowboys to take the reins at a shot at the Big XII title.

I am in the the camp though, that good coaches do less with more, I would pull the reins back on putting Riley above Gundy or Patterson on the coaching hierarchy. Riley has Heisman worthy quarterbacks falling in his lap (transferring) and can tout ouā€™s history to lure high ranking recruits, to me not that hard to do as a coach. Would he be doing the same at Tech, Kansas, or Texas? I doubt it, but I bet Patterson and Gundy would be raising the profile of those programs because of great coaching. Letā€™s see how he does with a freshman quarterback before we crown him the best coach ever.

1 Like

In 2 years, heā€™s won as many Big 12 titles as Gundy and Patterson combined. I donā€™t disagree that he was handed a silver platter via the transfer QBs, but they transferred to be part of Rileyā€™s system, and it was his system that won them their Heismans. Its disingenuous to not give Riley some of that credit.

1 Like

we thought the same ā€˜openingā€™ was available to Gundy after Stoops left ā€¦ i am not holding my breath here ā€¦

1 Like

This is why I donā€™t get on the fire Gundy train. Schools like Baylor, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State become revolving doors if they arenā€™t alums, or an assistant coach that has been there for a long time.

1 Like

i dont think i have ever read the words ā€™fire Gundyā€™ on any of the PFB+ comments or beforeā€¦ in contrast, there have been more than enough comments regarding Gundy and his seemingly inability to change his approach on certain items ā€¦

Iā€™ve seen we need a new coach many times, but phrase itā€™s how you want. Gundy has been and will be great for OSU

that ā€œ2nd Big XII coach to the NFL in 2 seasonsā€ tweet is a little misleading. Itā€™s technically TRUE, but Texas Gosling was fired. Dude was unemployed when Arizona called.

1 Like

Baylor could hire anyone from Saban to Santa and it wonā€™t matter, Gundy ainā€™t playing in conference championship.

Iā€™d have to say I agree. Iā€™d like to hold my breath and think this could be the opening we need but history hasnā€™t been kind (in these situations). Hereā€™s to hoping weā€™re wrong!

Lincoln was already in place, trained on the system, and inherited great players (and probably knew heā€™d be taking over the year before it was announced). This Baylor situation is going to be totally different