Mike Gundy Has an OU Problem, but OSU Has a Mike Gundy Problem

I do not disagree but I think Gundy knowing how short handed and with very limited time with Brown starting, was hoping to keep it close and have our defense that has been good at getting takeaways lately do so against an OU team that has been giving up turnovers a lot lately. Instead they won the turnover battle and we didn’t even get one takeaway. It was a decent plan with our decimated star situation, it just didn’t work.

:dart::dart::dart:

I tried doing this before, but I think I just commented rather than replied to your post. It doesn’t make sense if I don’t hit reply. :man_facepalming:t2:

Richetti committed before his hip injury. Pettigrew wasn’t highly regarded in recruiting circles.

As far as recruiting goes, what can we do to recruit better. The recruiting landscape in Texas has changed dramatically in the past 10 years. It is over fished by everyone. OU gets who they want in Oklahoma. LSU and the SEC control Louisiana. We have had little luck in Missouri in the KC STL area. Arky and the SEC has Arkansas on lockdown. Kansas has little talent, and OU and NU tend to pluck them. Most of our recruiting issues have less to do with us and more to do with the change in scenery in Texas. We do need to be more innovative. We need to hire better assistants who are very good recruiters and have strong connections. But top 25 classes are much more tough to come by these days. My biggest thing is being more consistently in the 25-35 range with less 40+ classes. Landing one or two more four star caliber guys (offer list wise) and less guys with very few or no P5 offers would do the trick. We do get a hidden gem or two every class, but it’s equalized by kids who can’t play at this level.

Gundy isn’t the only coach that recruits on this staff. Henson recruited a bunch of three star guys and we loved him for getting the exact same guys we blast Gundy for recruiting the last ten years. Dunn had gotten a couple of for star guys, but that’s it, yet at applaud him for reaching the same standard that Gundy has already been at.

1 Like

We lost to a top 10 team with our JV offense. No surprise there.
OSU doesn’t have a roster full of 4/5 star kids so there is a tangible dropoff when our starters go down.

The sky isn’t falling.

It’s just tough to listen to the Sooner fans crow after another bedlam.
This will pass

1 Like

Every realist I know is ready for Gundy to go. He is the 13th highest paid coach in College football. For what? 2-13 against OU? One Big 12 Championship? One major bowl (Fiesta)?
Recruiting?—can barely break into the top 40. Coaching? How many times have we heard “We got out-coached?” In case you didn’t know, coaching makes the difference between average and above average programs. I’m sick of his “Nick Saban / I don’t answer to anyone attitude.” Sure he’s the winningest coach in OSU history, he’s been there the longest and has the most money poured into the program, probably more than all the other coaches tenors combined. But the program is regressing.
Gundy’s had his chance. C’mon,15 years. It’s time for change. I bet you can find a good coach for 5.1 million a year.

1 Like

So I don’t dislike Mike Gundy, the man has been a part of OSU Football in one way or the other for 3 1/2 decades now. I am however sure that the time for him to move on has come and went, I’m sorry if I feel so adamant that we would have been better off if he had left for Tennessee (either time). With just about any coach out there after so many years (there are rare exceptions of course), they become complacent, set in their ways, unwilling to make radical changes, that is where we are now. That would/could be acceptable if he were not making 5+ million a year to just coast through the season. If anyone believes for a second that he and the other coaches put in the hours they did when he first took the reigns, your fooling yourselves. I see three options, #1. they fire him/promote him in some way (firing him of course is a fantasy because it would cost OSU a fortune to do so (thanks Mike Holder)), #2. he agrees to take a pay cut commiserate with his current level of effort (increase the salary pool available for the asst. coaches), or #3. rework his deal and put a real incentive on making the CFP. His current deal gives him a paltry 350K bonus if they make the playoff, make it a 2 or 2.5 million dollar bonus.

The only reason I entered the chamber today is to throw some love on Doug9’s post! I could not have said it better and some of the younger fans on here that are calling for Gundy’s head need to listen to what you are saying here. Winning at the level Gundy has won in a place like Stillwater is remarkable and won’t be easily replaceable. Again, great comment!

So the fact that when Jimmy Johnson and Pat Jones coached here the football budget was a joke, the stadium was a rust bucket, and the locker room and weight/training facilities rivaled some High School programs has little to do with where OSU was back in then. Its all Gundy, and without Gundy it will magically go back to being sub par? Gundy did an excellent job righting the ship and was one uninspired, extremely poor outing away from playing for a National Championship, but the program has become stale, and the level of effort has dropped significantly Maybe I just feel OSU deserves more, more effort, more dedication to all aspects of the program. Let’s give an example, where was Baylor a couple of years ago after the Art Briles fiasco, where are they this year after hiring a new, energetic, hungry, and dedicated to the job coach a few seasons ago? Call me crazy, but all I want is for the effort to match the 5 mill/year salary.

1 Like

And for every Baylor I can give you triple the number of programs that went the other way. Texas, FSU, TT, Florida, Arkansas, and South Carolina all come to mind. Can we do better than Gundy? Maybe. But the odds are against it.

1 Like

For those who are SO eager for Gundy to leave, I’m curious. Who’s replacing him that’s going to drive the program to the next level? Personally, I don’t think it’s possible. Les Miles couldn’t do it at OSU (other than beating OU twice, his resume was not that great). Neither could Jimmy Johnson. Both left to go to other programs, traditional national powers, and won at least one national championship. Not clear yet if the Mad Hatter can work magic again at Kansas. Look what happened to Tech after they got rid of Leach. Lose Gundy and be ready for real mediocrity, competing with Kansas for bottom-dweller in the Big 12.

You do realize that Tech has beaten Gundy the last two years.

1 Like

And their finish in the big 12? If you are trying to say TT is a better program than OSU then I don’t know what to tell you.

We were 9th out of 10 in the conference last year.

There hasn’t been a new national champion since 1996. No one can tell you what factors make OSU the most likely team to be the next new national champion.

Great, cherry pick one year when TT finished ahead of OSU. Great argument…just saying

Hey I’m just responding to doug9 trying to scare people about how bad it would be if they got rid of Gundy. He mentioned how far Tech has fallen, yet as bad as they are they’ve beaten Gundy two years in a row. He mentioned being a bottom dweller. Last year we were 9th, I consider that a bottom dweller. He mentioned mediocrity, Gundy averages 4th in the conference.
I realize it could be worse, but to keep someone who has proven he can’t compete with OU and can’t compete for conference titles because it could be worse. That just doesn’t sound like striving to be the best.

1 Like

Again, you are looking at a microcosm and suggesting OSU fire a head coach that has produced more wins than all but 10 or 11 other schools this decade. Throw out the non power 5 school (Boise State) and Gundy is in the top 10. It is just so shortsighted to look at a down year or two or our inability to beat a consistently top 5 program like OU and say Gundy needs to go. Look at how well it’s worked out for Nebraska who fired their coach after a string of 9 win seasons. They thought they could do better too. Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion and it’s a good thing that nothing you or I think matters. I only hope that decisions are made based on reality and results and not emotions and unrealistic assumptions.

1 Like

You mention reality and results and want to remove Boise from the list. Well teams like Texas and OU want OSU removed from the list because we never play teams like LSU, tOSU, USC or Notre Dame. Beating teams like Kansas and Central Michigan don’t make you good. The days of Gundy padding his wins with non conference and the bottom of a weak conference are over. I also predict the seasons of 10 or 11 wins are over as well.