Mike Gundy Has an OU Problem, but OSU Has a Mike Gundy Problem

The point of Boise is that most of their games (and thus wins) are in a non power 5 conference, that is why they are not as relevant in that discussion. The reality is that Big XII teams should be looked at as even better since we have to play one more conference game compared to other power 5 conferences.

You’re leaving out the fact that there hasn’t been a worse team in the P5 than Kansas over the last 10 years.

That is one game and everyone in the Big 12 gets that win every year…except Texas.

2 Likes

Also, let’s just say that Kansas is the same as the SEC cupcake opponent that every SEC team gets late in the season.

Exactly my point about Boise. Thanks Psycho.

Texas sure doesn’t think they are that bad…

But the point was already made, all conferences have at least one nearly guaranteed win. Some have more than that…

That I agree with.

I’m still waiting for that answer to my question. Who replaces Gundy that will take OSU to the next level? Whether Tech beat us doesn’t answer the question in the slightest. Looking back at Gundy’s record:
19 - 3rd
18 - 9th
17 - 3rd
16 - 2nd
15 - 2nd
14 - 7th
13 - 3rd
12 - 4th
11 - 1st
10 - 1st (tie)
09 - 3rd
08 - 4th (tie)
07 5th (tie)
06 8th (tie)
05 12th
So 7 times in the last 10 years the Cowboys have finished 3rd or better. The record shows steady improvement, though perhaps leveling off in last few years. Not dramatic - but steady. 2018 was underwhelming, but 19 was good and 20 looks to likely be better with Wallace coming back.

If we tied for 1st in 2010 why do we not get credit as co champions?

Our facilities don’t really stand out anymore. They did for a couple years, but most everyone that you’re complaining about us not beating has equal or better facilities now. They aren’t the obstacle they were in the 80’s, but not the boost that many expect them to be either.

Renovation of oSu facilities for other sports have produced improved recruiting results. Basketball, golf, soccer, tennis, track, and baseball are great examples. IMO it isn’t facilities, location, compensation, or lack of bowl game banners holding back the oSu football program. IMO one of the time honored traditions, in the oSu fan base, is finding excuses for why oSu doesn’t and can’t do better. These reasonings extol all the advantages other programs enjoy and any possible limitations associated with the state of Oklahoma and/or Payne county. RA and OKC media have spent careers developing these narratives and they are deeply ingrained. They operate from opposite ends of the spectrum but share that connection. However, oSu hired coach G for softball it is amazing what occurred without any facility improvements.

1 Like

Completely sick and tired of reading/hearing the narrative that ‘it’s hard to recruit’ to Stilly etc etc …try getting Holder to buy into that narrative when he was building his golf program with only Lakeside Golf Course to offer … everybody just stop it with that nonsense …

1 Like

The facilities race back then was much different, and prior to Holder OSU Golf had won 23 Conference Championships and a National Title.

If we’re requesting stopping with nonsense, I request we stop acting like our Football history is on the same planet as our Golf and Wrestling history.

With due respect …I dont think I have ever read a PFB comment over last 4(+) years that has come anywhere close to intimating our FB program is even in the same orbit as Golf & Wrestling programs nor suggesting or expecting the FB program can recruit at the same level as wrestling/golf …that was a leap of faith comment

So we agree that just because something could happen for the Golf program doesn’t mean it’s an example for the Football program.

Then we agree that the FB program does not have ANY inherent disadvantages that prevents it from recruiting top 15-20 classes annually and that narratives suggesting otherwise are simply false

No we don’t agree. There are inherent disadvantages to not being a traditional power and relatively far from talent.

Those disadvantages you claim do not rise to the level/degree that prevents top 20 recruiting classes…yep…we dont agree…

Yes. Let’s not forget those championships were won with those same facilities and none of that success resulted in getting facilities built. Holder did Karsten Creek from start to finish with minimal assistance from oSu.

the only thing Holder got some assistance on from the University Regents was the LAND …which at the time had very low market value …so yea… it was all Holder