Mike Gundy Has an OU Problem, but OSU Has a Mike Gundy Problem

respectfully, do you think Oregon is any closer to hotbeds for FB recruiting? No, geographically they are more handicapped than us …their facilities improvement program ran roughly parallel to us …prior to decade of the 90’s … Oregon football was also on par with ours … I think Oregon provides a better comparison than Clemson for us

15.4% of 2019 blue chip recruits live in Oklahoma or an adjacent state. 14.1% of 2019 blue chip recruits live in Oregon or an adjacent state. There are 4 P5 California teams. There are 5 P5 Texas teams. I agree that talent base is roughly equal, possibly favoring Oregon if you switched this to conference footprint (excluding WV in the Big 12’s case.)

Now, using @Alum_in_AZ’s work on blue bloods, OSU has to compete against two “true” Blue Bloods in OU and Texas. OU has been at the top of their game for Gundy’s tenure. Texas has been up and down. Oregon only has one “true” Blue Blood in conference, USC, and they have been down, especially the last few years their recruiting has fallen off a cliff because Helton was sure to be fired, but wasn’t.

In the context of this recruiting picture, I’m not surprised Oregon is doing a better job at recruiting. I will be interested to see how they do if/when USC is again ascendant.

2 Likes

Overall recruiting in football did improve after the facilities upgrade. They may not have improved to the extent that you want, but they did. We aren’t getting the 5* guys, but what did happen is that the depth of the program is significantly better because we aren’t having to fill in holes with nearly as many unrecruited guys.

I understand your point. To some extent I believe its valid. My point all along is that no one is asking OSU to recruit at a ‘blue blood’ level. For the most part, the schools everyone defaults to…are already recruiting at level far higher than OSU and will CONTINUE to do so for inherent advantages etc …ee are asking/expecting Gundy to recruit to the level of Arkansas - Nebraska - Mississippi State - Carolina’s - Wisconsin - Arizona State - Kentucky (crying out loud)
Is that too much to expect? Dont think so …

I just reread the article and how Gundy is the best at what is hardest to be best at. Tell me if I got this wrong, but he is the best at winning at least 7 games every year? Wouldn’t that be tied to always playing a weak non-conference schedule? Wouldn’t Texas record look better if they only scheduled cupcakes?

You’ve got it wrong. Try reading it again.

You pay $5.1 million annually because you have somebody who’s cracked the culture code and built one of the highest floors in the country. OSU might never win 12 games again, but they’re not very often going to win just six either. It’s repeatable and comfortable. There is so little risk. @Kyle Porter
So where did I get it wrong? You pay him 5.1 million a year to schedule cupcakes. There is so little risk.

Would love to see that the data to support that opinion.

Wins is a way to talk about what program management gets you, but it isn’t program management.

Compare our APR, another reflection of program management, to FSU’s at the end of the Jimbo era. Jimbo might get you a title, but he’ll do lots of things that leave your program worse off too. Bobby Petrino is another example of this.

Gundy is very good at program management. Ways you know that is the floor for wins, that we graduate lots of guys, regularly get NFL talent to return, and are scandal free. This is why Gundy is paid what he is, not for scheduling cupcakes.

When you have a lot of low talent guys around for 5 years you should have guys graduate. I would love to hear what Chris Carson’s or Tyreke Hill or Justice Hill opinion on Gundy.

Probably more positive than yours low bar that it is.

Do you not remember all of the big leads we had a gave up back in the day because of our lack of depth?

Not all of the big leads were given up because of depth, many were given up because of not being able to adjust during the game.

1 Like