Mike Gundy Misses the Mark Again in Attempt to Clean up COVID-19 Comments

I feel like Gundy made it political from the jump, and people responded.

6 Likes

I can’t argue any of this, thanks for the response. Definitely agree that his comments about the players being fine if they caught the virus was way out of line.

1 Like

If you are making the virus comments and coverage about them political, it’s because our government and specific national news outlets have made it political. Boone & Porter did not make it political, it was about the health and safety of the players and about the fact that Gundy’s comments were contradicting state and health officials.

We make it political by viewing it that way…because every single minute detail of this particular President’s job & the general state of the country has been politicized over the last 3 years because that’s how his decisions are made. There has been no collective good since 2017. Only red vs blue. We’ve gotten so used to that it’s affecting what should certainly be a non-political issue.

And I’m not saying this to be mean or make anyone upset. I’m simply pointing out when the administration seems to only care about his base, it makes everything tribal. When there isn’t regard for both sides, we see everything as a gotcha.

And that’s where we are right now. Everything, even normally non-political stuff is a gotcha.

2 Likes

Except for Gundy qualified before and after the medical personnel would be the one’s who would have to approve it. Again, you leave those comments alone based on where you are on the political spectrum.

If it’s about the health and safety of the players, Gundy qualified that multiple times about medical personnel in his comments. Do we ignore those comments? Should not have been an issue for the writers. Instead, the writer’s say “on a day 2000 people die”…that’s political.

And like I said, it’s ok for them to be political. But you just need to know what it is.

I’ve said this a million different times, but one last time: a caveat doesn’t give him a license to say whatever he wants after the fact. The I’ll trust medical people caveat was completely contradictory to they’re healthy 18-19-20 year olds who can fight it.

6 Likes

Sorry Kyle, I’m going to back out and let this die. You are right. The moderates agree with you and those with a journalism degree support the heck out of you. :facepunch:

3 Likes

Do medical people believe and the data show that most 18-19-20 year old’s will be able to fight the virus off? Particularly after doctors have cleared them and tested them multiple times (the caveat)? As well as having as good of health care as anyone else in the country monitoring them daily (trainers)?

Based on the data, how did the NBA players deal with the virus? 10 of them got it, and only 2 of them showed small symptoms and never needed anywhere close to hospitalization.

Are Gundy’s comments unreasonable? If they are, I would like you to show me the data. That’s what reporting is right? Substantiating your claim on his comment as unreasonable or irresponsible. The data I’m looking at looks very positive for 18-19-20 year olds in the world of college athletes, particularly if they stay quarantined because that eliminates them as “carriers”, the true potential risk here.

Truly, the NBA sampling gives you the best data for that because they tested everyone from 10 teams (not just those with symptoms) and they have similar medical help and athletic (although the younger age seems to be even better suited to fight the virus then adults fighting it). The NBA data would add all the asympomatic people that would drive the death rate way down, particularly for this age demographic. It’s why the major leagues are looking into similar things Gundy spoke on.

I get it both ways. But caveat matters big time, especially if you add that to the data that exists.

2 Likes

I think there was a Florida State player who got it and reported on how it felt. He says even as a healthy kid he felt horrible.

Here’s a link: https://seminoles.com/boselli-announces-coronavirus-recovery/

1 Like

When I read Gundy’s original comments, I kept thinking about Gina Noble’s crisis communications class. We would’ve spent a week going over that transcript and creating what should have been said

2 Likes

I believe your reaction is as unnecessary, and unproductive. The truth is nobody has a clear understanding of how to proceed. The media is not trustworthy, Fauci is giving the President conflicting information, and millions of people are without jobs. Our economy is tanking.

Hopefully, the economy will gradually reopen in the next 2-4 weeks. If not, there won’t be any jobs left to go to in 90 days. The cure cannot be worse than the disease. Some countries have left their economy open, and have no more deaths than we do on a percentage basis. The Democrats are using this crisis to take down our President.

You need to get off your “high horse”. You know no more about the situation than my cat. Perhaps you should apply to be the Director of Information for the Covid-19 Task Force.

So it was very unpleasant but he was able to fight it off fine?

1 Like

I thought the same thing. I loved that class.

1 Like

Absolutely. The majority of his eyebrow raising comments were in his opening statement. He clearly prepared for those statements. That is what scares me – after preparation, those are the thoughts that came out of his mouth :joy:

1 Like

I’m genuinely interested in knowing more about this. What are the countries?

Appreciate everyone responding here, but please remember to keep the dive on politics out if you can. I know it’s hard these days to separate it with sports

3 Likes

So far Sweden has taken minimal steps - no events larger than 50, restaurants and bars can only serve you at a table for instance. They have 91 deaths per million, the US has 70 deaths per million. My understanding is they are not as far along as we are.

I have been a firm Gundy supporter over the years and have been thankful for the extended period of success that he has brought OSU football.

But he needs to keep his comments to football, which he has an excellent knowledge of. He serves our program best by speaking publicly about his expertise, not his opinions based on the politically motivated opinions of others.

1 Like

IMO he isn’t saying Gundy shouldn’t be checked. He is saying you shouldn’t post your opinions because your job is to gather oSu news and compile for fans to view. Despite this entity being yours, you are not worthy to critique Mike Gundy. He wants to treat you like Gundy treats media members that want to interview Jalen McCleskey about leaving oSu.

Certainly not enough to make separate rules on quarantine for 18-20 year olds.

About 70 people in their early 20s flew on a chartered plane from Austin, Texas, to Mexico for spring break two weeks ago. They went against the advice of public health officials who asked that people avoid nonessential air travel and gathering in groups of more than 10.

Now 44 of those people have tested positive for coronavirus — all of them University of Texas at Austin students, a university spokesman told CNN on Wednesday.

Even more alarming is that some of the passengers who went on the trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, took commercial flights home, the Austin Public Health Department said.

1 Like

Hey look college kids are dumb and want to have fun.

1 Like