Mike Gundy Misses the Mark Again in Attempt to Clean up COVID-19 Comments

It was a monologue…

I would love to but we don’t have access to the players. OSU doesn’t make them available during the spring.

1 Like

Yeah, I appreciate that perspective. I think Gundy certainly is in the majority in terms of wanting to get back to normalcy. We all do.

Two things I’ll add: No. 1. The he was taken out of context argument is pretty wrong. Obviously he defers to medical people about date of return, but when you say you feel like your players are fine and young and healthy enough to fight it, there’s no caveat that makes it OK. Maybe people will be OK with his stance, but if it were my kid, I wouldn’t be.

Second thing: I don’t think he’s satan or anything crazy. I think he’s probably a fine person. His intentions were probably in the right place even if the landing and execution was poor. But – and this is why we wrote what we did – he can’t just go off-script and start saying stuff without consequence. No one held his feet to the fire locally, but our response was in line with what other national writers eventually harped on as well. To me that speaks to the fact that we aren’t afraid to shy away from criticizing regardless of ramifications. We have to interact with OSU people WAY more than the national writers do.

2 Likes

This is a tough topic that very few understand how to solve. Even the experts have never dealt with anything at this scale. The models are changing daily because of new variables. There will be models for how many lives we will lose too because of poverty depression etc… Threading that needle is the challenge and I can’t point to one expert that has done it and can guarantee the best approach. It will require our leaders to make educated decisions on models that will change and Need them to pivot quickly. I have had many people ask me about Gundy’s comments and honestly I say I want balance in our discussions because the best decisions are made looking at all perspectives and focusing on a holistic point of view. Full disclosure my son is a recruit and we love OSU and the program. We visited many programs and there are some great ones but OSU was our favorite. I like the optimism too - keeps my son focused on training and being there and ready as soon as he can. :football::muscle:t3::cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Darthkenobi, our Nancy P on PFB. For other posters, do a background on the bloggers here and you understand the disdain for Mike Gundy.

2 Likes

Do what?

2 Likes

I don’t need trump to tell me the media is the problem my lefter

Your a bad person

Have you seen the autopsy of these young perfectly healthy people that have died? I haven’t either so let me see the facts! There was an QT employee that was in his early 20’s that passed away from this virus and the day of his death “they” reported that he was healthy. I’m not a doctor but I’m sure they did not have time to do an autopsy the same day. I just can’t believe what is being reported anymore at all. Not saying that all reporting is false but greed of a good story and to be the first to make a name for yourself is trumping good morals. I now put reporters and media in the same boat as lawyers and thieves. Sorry you make you bed and now you have to lay in it.

This is so not true and is evident you’ve missed the point entirely.

This has nothing to do with Gundy’s stature and his following. If OSU plays like crap against Tech or makes piss poor 4th down calls (all which has happened), nobody has a problem criticizing Gundy for objectively bad decisions.

I’ve always said you guys are clueless when it comes to your non stop bashing of Gundy’s recruiting, but at least that has some objective merit (lower recruiting rankings).

The issue here is you all have decided to ram your political agenda down the throats of your readers and fall in line with the likes of Dan Wolken and Pete Thamel (which btw, if you ever find yourself on the same side of the aisles of those guys, you’re on the wrong side). All for your completely 100% subjective, virtue signaling opinion which, and I want to emphasize this, THE VAST MAJORITY OF OSU FANS AND YOUR READERS DON’T AGREE WITH. You guys aren’t the moral authority and get to decide what is right/wrong from what comes out of Gundy’s mouth. That’s how all this reads.

Add to the fact that you guys have a well documented history as being the leader in taking swipes at Gundy, for whatever reason, your response to this comes off as tiring and incredibly predictable.

3 Likes

How much?

1 Like

10x what we’ve made.

1 Like

Ouch.

What’s sad about his apology (other than its a complete lie) is that I know 4 months from now Gundy is going to have the same type of interview where he uses divisive political rhetoric to get his point across. Boom! We are back at this discussion.

1 Like

Preach!

Does he just get to say literally whatever he wants without receiving criticism? If Gundy had said, “You know, the holocaust had its merits” and got criticism for it, nobody would be mad (although RA would definitely be defending it). The problem (if we want to call it that) is not that we criticized Gundy, it’s that everyone has a different view of coronavirus.

The actual argument here is whether anyone should cover what is said by coaches/players regarding what happens outside of the sports world. There’s a good argument for “no,” but with hero-worship being what it is in our culture, I think it becomes a dangerous game for folks not to be checked on what they say publicly.

3 Likes

IDK who needs to see this today, but judging by my FB feed and here, several someone’s probably do:

Opinion pieces are not news. They should be accurate, but certainly will be biased. All newspapers and media outlets have them. If you don’t agree, it’s okay…most outlets do cover both sides. PFB covers both sides. They cover the good and the bad in equal measure.

Blogs, be they sports or politics or medicine, are going to contain opinion pieces. Read them and you’ll find bias. That’s the point. If you don’t like the opinion, scroll on. Don’t tell the opinion writer their outlet is bad because the article is not news. They know it’s not news. That’s the point.

For gosh sakes, Mass Communication should be a required high school and college class because we are FAILING to teach people how to read media. And it shows.

Rant over. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

6 Likes

Will you be speaking at TedX?

2 Likes

Not really, but don’t be surprised if I’m not running for a spot in state legislature to solve this problem. :joy:

2 Likes

Everyone really needs to understand these are political opinions made by the writers here. It’s not a clear right and wrong as they write. When 50% of the population disagrees on the right or wrong aspect that tells you it’s political. If you’re upset with them bringing in politics to this, then that is what you are upset about.

They use his words then translate to how they perceived it, and quickly dismiss the actual words Gundy said before and after. They try to declare a “right and wrong.” The other 50% perceived it another way. It’s about where they stand on the political spectrum and that much is obvious, everything else is their subjectivity shot into it. And it’s ok for them to be on that part of the political spectrum.

With Porter, I also get the sense he also has a few more personal issues with Gundy but I don’t know that for fact…that’s just what comes through in his writing. Again, that’s just what I see just like he saw something different in many of Gundy’s comments that many of you did not agree with.

1 Like