Mike Gundy's College Football Playoff Expansion Take Might Surprise You

He’s spot on. They should either leave it like it is (except 2 teams from the same conference should never make the final 4), or expand to 8 (all power 5 conference champions, 1 non Power 5 and 2 at large).

The regular season has to mean something, as well as the conference championship.

1 Like

Start naming names…

2 Likes

2016: Western Michigan
2017: UCF
2018: UCF
2020: Coastal Carolina
All finished their regular seasons undefeated and left out of the playoffs. That’s 4 times in the 8 years of the CFP (50%).

4 Likes

Mike Leach and Matt Campbell have been mentioned by Joe15 in the past as hires that would be upgrades. Boy… those didn’t age well. Talk about setting the program back 30 years.

3 Likes

Not really a upgrade since none of them have won a conference championship in over a decade.

1 Like

If that’s the case then I agree. No.Teams.Should.Get.A.Bye.

1 Like

I think you misunderstood what I meant, POLITICS very much plays a role in CFB. Look at how they cater to the $EC. The point I was making is every sport determines the champ on the field of play or mat or etc…the only exception is Div 1 football. Div II, NAIA, FCS can do it but we can’t??? <— I know you agree w/ that!

@ patrick0327 Either 8 or 16. No teams should be getting a bye, it gives them an unfair advantage! Personally I think 16 is too many and should be at 8. 12 is just doofy!

1 Like

$ay$ the guy making 5, 6 million bean$ per year. How egocentric. :roll_eyes: :eyes: :sob:

How about Urban Meyer?

1 Like

They have no titles. Matt max win is 9 leach maxed out at 10 wins. Yes it be like pat jones was coaching

1 Like

Mike Gundy is Pat Jones coaching.

2 Likes

You still trolling over here?

1 Like

Sounds great :+1:. How much to get him here? How long does he stay? What happens to the program/recruiting when he leaves.

I think Urban Meyer is a fantastic college coach. Maybe the only name I would be on board with, if the answers to the questions above are reasonable.

2 Likes

I think they should be in even if they can’t beat Bama Clemson or Georgia. They stand a chance like Michigan Ohio St or Cincy. Even if it’s a blow out there’s always a chance. I hate seeing the SEC Championship Game 2x in one year. I’d hate to see Texas Vs OU in a championship game.

5 Likes

I think 2011 and last year OSU could had wreaked havoc. 2011 Alabama struggled against uptempo and last year’s defense with Sanders playing like he did against Notre Dame. We’ll never know but it would be great to see and measure where we are.

3 Likes

No Mark Dantonio or Chris Peterson?

Exactly. You never know what can happen so they deserve a shot.
When it comes to this topic, I have a couple of beliefs:

1. If we’re going to continue with the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) in it’s current composition (a mix of power and group of conferences), then every conference should have the same access to the playoff.
  2. If we’re not going to give every conference the same access to the playoff, then the FBS should to be split into new subdivisions (one for group of conferences, one for power conferences) with each having their playoff/championship.

I feel like this proposed 12 team playoff is a good compromise. While not every conference has the same access, the smaller conferences have a much better shot of getting in.

3 Likes

I like those options better than Leach or Campbell. Dantonio’s age would be a factor for me. Chris Peterson didn’t have any better of a record (winning pct.) at Washington (Pac 12 < Big 12) than what Gundy has at Oklahoma State in a better conference. You’re making a little more sense.

1 Like

I totally disagree with Mike’s statement pertaining to why fix something that isn’t broke? The MNC was broke in 2011 when the Cowboys missed their best chance in the history of the school to play for a BCS championship. Going to a 4-team playoff fixed nothing but allowing the biased toward blue blood voting committee members to count recruiting stars and exclude any school that built their successful conference champion football teams with 3-star talent a chance compete for the national prize. Mike has been the best coach ever at oSu, no doubt. He has built the program into a consistent bowl-game participant each year. His recruiting deficiencies has not allowed him to be a consistent conference champion, year after year and to compete regularly for a national championship. This new 12-team playoff, with the departure of Oklahoma to the SEC, will allow Mike to take the program to the next level with his majority 3-star and some 4-star recruits. When oSu is in the playoffs each year, his recruiting should vastly improve, because the best players want to play for the best teams. Oklahoma State fans are hungry for the Cowboys to dominate in the Big 12 and have a place on the dance floor for a modern national title. We can only hope that Mike’s great financial success at oSu has not extinguished the same desire in his own belly. These comments from him, on the new 12-team playoff, cause me to wonder.

4 Likes

We have the same chance this year that we had last year, and I like our chances this year.

1 Like