NIL - Money in college sports

Going to assume this means they’ve got time to address concerns before more trouble. I think we should treat them the same way they treat member institutions and punish them for all the years of wrong doing even if they end up correcting their mistakes.

2 Likes

Just leave the NCAA.

2 Likes

Kyle Boone provided coverage of this today but I think more needs to be explored and commissioners and ADs need to be questioned about their plans. I’m afraid if these people aren’t pressed about it then it can get out of control and we end up with reactionary fights from college athletes trying to get a CBA.

I’m curious how this will affect old school things like buying athletes cars or $100 hand shakes as well as whether or not donations and revenue pots of money will be mixed before doling out.

Also, I’d like the content.

We need some OSU mock ups.

1 Like

Math is in the article.
1 Like

I’m interested to see how much money ends up flying around. NIL is where the money’s at, but I still think college athletics as a form of amateurism is definitely gone (rightfully so).

Will this pretty much be big donors paying athletes instead of donating to the schools? (A la ou and Big Red Imports)

Will it all be new money (those who otherwise would not have spent money at the school)?

Will it actually help businesses?

@marshall, have you thought through this for PFB?

1 Like

What about all of them. It’s gonna be wild until a bunch of rules get implemented.

Hey @marshall, would bringing athletes from different sports onto the podcast be a possibility? A summer series would be awesome!! Might also help the site creep back into the football world. Surely Gundy wouldn’t deny them the opportunity to talk to you guys.

6 Likes

Haha

1 Like

I think of they’re paid, he can’t, but then he might just kick them off the team so who knows.

I think that’s a possibility going forward: kids getting booted for a deal they made that the school or coach doesn’t like (are we going to see girls booted for an OnlyFans?).

Can schools now sell jerseys with names on the back? If so, that’s a win for everyone. Don’t have to order from China anymore :sweat_smile:

Not sure what you mean.

I think it would be cool, but paying athletes we cover would be a major conflict of interest. If we did bring on athletes, it wouldn’t be a paid deal.

3 Likes

Reggie Bush and the Fab Five officially happened! Yay

If you sponsored Sanders do you think Gundy would sit him out of spite?

4 Likes

Curious if he changes his stance on letting freshmen speak with the media.

As in have you thought about a sponsorship?

1 Like

It would be a major conflict of interest.

1 Like

We’re just a blog though

3 Likes

I can sort of see a conflict but it’s fuzzy at best. Is it a journalism code of ethics issue? I get not paying for interviews, but paying for someone to promote on their social seems doable esp. if they’re a PFB reader (something you could sort out beforehand).

I’m not arguing that you need it, I’m just curious if you’ve analyzed it. I know of other sites looking for endorsement deals (granted they don’t necessarily cover one team).

1 Like