Nolan McLean Returning to Oklahoma State for Junior Season

Getting to the majors…hes got an “easier” path by going on the mound. An Organization will have around 25 pitchers between the MAJ/AAA rosters, while maybe 4 true 3b. Hes got an upper 90’s FB right now and hes never been a P.O at any point in his career. Most of these scouting dept’s will project him as a P.O. and will know that hes got more MPH in his tank once he strictly goes to the mound. I think him not signing had more to do with him wanting to 2-way and not getting the $$ amount he wanted. I dont know Nolan personally, but Im very close with some guys that do and they say he is the most “confident” dude theyve ever played with. Keep in mind that they say that about a guy who shares the same dugout as Roc Riggio.

1 Like

Yes, he could come back for his Sr season. That is not any kind of leverage though. Thats a lack of options. Not leverage

I dnt know how did it, but osu hitting got alot better towards the end. Only one was the first base man, but he was got good hits and walked alot.
Both matt and ventura have money. They may never leave.
Need to look into a new pitching philosophy.

2 Likes

LMAO at the Roc Riggio comment. If his stuff is great, to me it’s not, it’s good but 4.97 ERA? Why isn’t he a front-line starter for us if he’s all that? Velocity is not the be-all, end-all. Tons of guys throw gas. I faced a guy who played at Seminole who went in the 2nd round, Steve True, he was throwing 96, 97. Never made it past High A.

You could be right but there’s stuff like this: While McLean would undoubtedly be an intriguing pitching prospect who already displays impressive velocity, the likely future third baseman’s power potential offensively is arguably the more intriguing tool of the two. Rated by MLB Pipeline as the No. 46 overall prospect in the 2022 MLB Draft, McLean is currently projected as either a late-first or early-second round pick, and would be an intriguing prospect to consider for the Miami Marlins. Miami Marlins 2022 MLB Draft Preview: 3B Nolan McLean

Although scouts are starting to prefer McLean as a third baseman, he’s still a legitimate pitching prospect. He uses his big frame well and consistently throws strikes from a low three-quarters slot. His repertoire consists of a solid three-pitch mix that includes a fastball (91-95 mph), curveball (mid-70’s), and changeup (mid-80’s). His fastball has good movement and natural sink, and his curveball has a high-spin-rate. If he remains a pitcher, he has top of the rotation upside at the next level. Nolan McLean 2020 MLB Draft Profile - Last Word On Baseball

It’s still leverage as it’$ an option if he’s drafted high and the team loses a draft pick, like Orioles, did, and doesn’t pony up the signing bonus he’s looking for…it’s not as if that hasn’t been done before.

1 Like

It did but most guys tend to hit better as the weather warms up. Don’t ask me why but I was like that as well when I played…thrived in summer baseball. Slow starter at the plate when some games where 50º or around there.

Yea sure but all and as much as they did.

From what I’ve read , not verified, but Rob isn’t the one to make the calls when someone is getting lit up like the 4th of July… comments from other players too

1 Like

The fact that he didnt sign as the #81 pick hurts his case next year. Hes not getting drafted that high again. I didnt say that he didnt have the option of returning for his Sr year. Of course its an option. Its not a viable one, but its still an option.

@teatown , im not saying that he cant play 3b. Im saying that in my opinion, based on the guys that I talk to that are…shall I say very close to the situation, his ceiling is much higher on the mound than at 3b. From what I can speak of that ive seen for myself is that his velo is ++, his secondary stuff is ++, his mound presence is ++. His command and ability to turn himself from a thrower into a pitcher is what hes lacking right now. You asked why isnt he a front-line guy? Dude, the 4.97 ERA isnt bad at all for a guy pitching in the Big 12 Conf, against guys with metal bats, who really hasnt put much effort into really, truly being a pitcher. My guess is that hes too valuable in the lineup everyday to turn him into a P.O. You sound like youve played a little and you know how hard it is to legitimately 2-way for a guy. The training, throwing routine, practice reps and so on are so different for pitchers than position guys. And I made some phone calls last night and was told from a very reliable source that Nolan wants to play everyday and was told thatd be the case before he came here. Thats why early on he wasnt planned on throwing as many innings as he ended up having to throw. I think hes making a mistake by snubbing the P.O role. But, the kid has tools and loves to play baseball. There are definitely worse things a kid can choose to do than love the sport he plays…just ask AJ Ferrari.

2 Likes

We shall see. It might be that McLean just loves to hit and with that I’m with him 100%. Nothing more fun about baseball than that. Trying to get hitters out can be fun too but if you’re a starter you only getting to play 20% or less of all the games. Let’s see how he does on the mound this next season then give our recommendations to pro scouts, okay, heh heh? Ain’t like they always get it right!

3 Likes

He does a decent job of developing arms when they get here, but there seems to be a problem with attracting them and keeping them here (in addition to the issues with in-game management).

3 Likes

True. We’re gonna need better pitching to win regionals and a super to get to the CWS again. It’s been too dang long.

2 Likes

Last year injuries got us in the regionals. Two starters down and the relief couldn’t throw strikes. Looks like we have potentially two starters coming in ? Saw where a couple of the freshmen from last year are throwing well in summer ball

1 Like