Notes on Monken, Dunn, Gundy, OC Situation in Stillwater

@kyleporterCBS I saw the reports that Monken had a lot of issues with Kitchens in Cleveland. He never got to call plays and would tell opposing coaches before the game what a mess the franchise once. I remember that he didn’t get to call plays in Tampa Bay either. Do you think being able to call plays again and in a friendly, familiar environment would give Monken some reasons to want to come back and coach in college?

Is it possible Monken might want to retire in the next few years? I mean he’s a year older than Gundy and had moved around a ton the past decade. This might be his swan song.

You don’t hire Monken without a multiple year commitment

I would actually be okay with getting Monken for only one year if that’s the only way he’ll come. Let him come in and do his thing, and let Dunn essentially be his protege for a year to then become OC after that.

7 Likes

If his son is going to attend OSU starting this fall, that is the wild card in his decision.

8 Likes

Yeah, but I also believe the allure of being a NFL head coach is still there for him based on people I’ve talked to. Unlikely? Sure, but not impossible. I’m with @eddy – the longer it goes the better it is.

Kyle you might check again, bunches of reports (behind paywalls and out in the open) that our BOR is currently in contract negotiations with Monken. Also apparently his wife is already shopping for houses in Stillwater but some think that might be only because she wanted out of Cleveland and wanted to be close to their son as he starts at OSU.

8 Likes

One family wants out, one wants back in …

6 Likes

Which side of things did you think I was reporting from? Of course OSU wants Monken! He’d immediately be one of the 10 best OCs in the country (see my last note). But does Monken want OSU? That’s the real question at hand.

6 Likes

The way it is being presented is that it is a done deal, just hammering out the details. Though I have not seen this from anywhere I fully trust.

YESSSSS. IM SO HAPPY WERE STARTING THIS.

2 Likes

Monken is at a point in his career that he doesn’t need and probably not interested ‘titles’…he would be interested in ‘the opportunity’ …ie…talent in place to win another B12 Championship under his watch and to ‘mentor’ the next OC (Dunn) and ‘out from under’ the pressure of NFL OC job for 12 mths … almost like a paid 12 month sabbatical …

1 Like

Exactly, Dunn can probably hang on if we aren’t bringing in a professional he knows well .

Nothing against you Psycho, but anytime there is “the wife is shopping for a house” attached to the story, I’m automatically suspect.

1 Like

Definitely could have changed since I got my info (last night).

Info out there (and also now backed up on the other thread) is this BOR meeting and push for money for the actual contract happened in the last 4 hours.

4 Likes

Realtors are often the best source.

1 Like

I am having so much fun following these posts on Monken, Dunn, and Chuba. My lack of posting is just due to me having nothing interesting to add.

11 Likes

Make sure you save your “likes”, just in case!

3 Likes

Same with me no sources, just enjoying the read.