Official Hire Cale Gundy Thread

They’re the lone outlier, and they’re a lot closer to blue bloods status than us.

2 Likes

Almost 11 months old and frighteningly more relevant today.

3 Likes

I saw Cale at an OSU baseball game this spring wearing a lot of orange with mike. Got my hopes up, but obviously didn’t materialize.

5 Likes

Maybe Cale is just waiting for UT-Norman to leave for the SEC. Then he won’t have that conflict every year.

4 Likes

Cale with Mark Rogers jokingly back in spring-

Cale- “I’m enjoying every second of retirement. I actually get to see my family. I don’t want back into that world.”

Mark- “But people are saying you’re going to OSU.”

Cale- “No.”

Mark- “Are you lying?”

Cale- “I guess we’ll find out this fall when I have a permanent spot on this show and I’m not on a football field.”

Here we are over half a year later, and Cale has a permanent spot on the animal and isn’t on a football field. He tried to tell us way back during rumors.

2 Likes

Also partnered in a restaurant now.

1 Like

There is one scenario where I’m fine with Mike staying on, and it’s pulling in Cale and getting rid of Dunn and Dickey, AND openly supporting NIL initiatives. But only if that last part is met.

Could be way off but I honestly believe nailing a good OL coach is all we need. Maybe a new QB coach. Even if we kept everything else exactly the same. OL has been hurting us so, so, so badly.

1 Like

Need creative play designs and competent play calling.

2 Likes

OL coach helps, but you need to drill down further than that. Dunn is not a capable OC.

1 Like

I get it, I’m not saying Dunn is good. But I am saying he could be way better with better help. He can’t run the ball cause the OL sucks, and he can’t throw the ball cause our WRs are literally statistically playing worse than every single school in the nation but like 4 schools and drop everything. He would have and has had a lot more success with the right players. I’d be hard pressed to imagine any OC in the world having much success with this team.

I will say that if you’re going to have players this inept offensively, you need an OC that can find a way to at least give you a tiny bit of success and Dunn is not that guy.

3 Likes

If only we could find out who’s responsible for the WRs being bad then Kasey Dunn would get a fair shot.

1 Like

You’re not wrong, we’re talking about that on the recruiting page.

1 Like

I said this in another thread a looong time ago: Cale told a mutual friend over lunch that he would love to help MG at OSU, and would be open to it.

A lot of moving parts in there. But, at one point, he was far from “hell no.”

3 Likes

How hard is it to fire Kasey Dunn and hire Cale? Gundy is obviously keen on nepotism

CC: @cowgirl4life

1 Like

It’s like our offense schemes for the D seen in the previous week and when the D does something different, the offense goes into the fetal position and begins sucking its thumb.

1 Like

You have the wrong CC. The nepotism take king is Carson Cunningham. I have no issue with Gundy hiring Cale. He’s qualified and can’t be worse than what we have now at OC.

He was never an OC before. What makes you think he would be a good one.

2 Likes

Well Cale was the OU interim OC for the Alamo Bowl against Oregon after Riley left, so he did get a brief OC tryout. Obviously Cale is most known for his role in recruiting. Like Dunn, Cale had worked a lot with wide receivers, but he also rotated through multiple other offensive positions while at OU. OU had some pretty prolific offenses and Cale has been around some great playcallers. Doesn’t mean Cale would be great, but I think it certainly counts as “qualified”. I also think Cale might be able to bend Gundy’s ear a bit more on things like NIL and player relations, etc. Finally, I have a feeling almost anyone in the football world would do better the Dunn offense schemes of late :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: