Oklahoma State Falls to Iowa at Carver-Hawkeye Arena as Cowboys Close Out Dual Season

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/oklahoma-state-falls-to-iowa-at-carver-hawkeye-arena-as-cowboys-close-out-dual-season/

There were a handful of close matches, but it didn’t go the Cowboys’ way.

I predicted we win only 2 matches. Iowa has more skill and strength and wrestles smarter.
We are certainly not at their level.
Do we need to change where we recruit?
Do we need an assistant coach who was not a Cowboy in order to teach some different skills?
Wyatt Sheets, for the most part, ineffective at 165. 125 is an embarrassment.
Bright future for Surber and Victor V.
I don’t know what to think about Carter Young. Body type looks too thin, but shows potential even though inconsistent. I still wonder if Plott is wrestling with an undisclosed injury.
Team probably finishes 3rd at Big 12 tournament.
I say go fishing in the portal for a few weights.
Really impressed with what Gfeller has done for the team.
Time to learn more moves than ankle pick.

1 Like

Losing too many one point matches. That’s not a championship team mentality

1 Like

It’s Iowa, Penn State…then everybody else. I expected an L but not 28-7…yikes.

With spring sports underway and an 18-1 loss in baseball and an uninspiring first round by Cowboy golfers, this reality is settling in: this may be the most “.500” looking season for the totality of OSU men’s programs. Really doesn’t seem like a single program is going to meet expectations.

2 Likes

Time for the AD to have a tough love chat with most of the coaches as we are seeing a year of mediocrity. Make their salaries contingent upon success and then watch recruiting improve. Bad season= decreased salary. We need better talented athletes across the board. Give Boynton just one more season. I’m doubtful they make the tournament this season.

1 Like

Every sport out there should be under scope, every stinking one. Iowa just curb stomped us, different level than us I guess. Get competitive guys !!
Baseball starts off bad,…… 18-1 how do you get beat by your rival that bad ?? You lose recruits
This goes for Gundy as well

1 Like

I’m not satisfied with the outcome of the match but I saw some things to be positive about. For one, we had the lead in a number of matches that we ended up losing. To me, that says the coaching and recruiting are there, but the coaches can’t wrestle the matches for them. It looks as if some of the guys go into a “prevent defense” and that only works for one team in Carver. I believe several guys on the top two teams were recruited by OSU, but like so many, they didn’t accept the offer. Even though we lost, it was good to see such a highly competitive match in an era where so many don’t show up. I’m anxious for the tournaments because it seems that’s when some of our guys wrestle their best.

2 Likes

Isn’t the recruiting class this year supposed to be close to No.1 ? We had one three years ago and lose the next year ? Where does the talent go ? Are the recruiting gurus off or we don’t develop ?

1 Like

All good questions !! Something needs to change. Fixx is about the only win you can count on every night Young does look slim and can’t get out from the bottom. I do like VV

1 Like