Oklahoma State Is Not Forcing Turnovers, and It Could Use Some

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/oklahoma-state-is-not-forcing-turnovers-and-it-could-use-some/

The Cowboys aren’t taking it back.

Lack of turnovers is not the issue. Executing the fundamentals is the issue, and Nardo knows it. Fumbles come from stripping the ball, but if players are coached to focus too much on stripping the ball, tackling suffers. And that’s exactly what I saw in the first two games… a lot of swiping and arm ripping while the ball carrier chugged out another 3 yards, or got away entirely. That has improved, which tells me that right now they are working more on tackling fundamentals and less on turnovers.
Secondly, interceptions come from being in the right spots on the field. It is an understatement to say that the secondary has not been in the right spots. So if they fix their busted coverage, then interceptions will become a natural by-product.

7 Likes

I think it’s just the fact this team isn’t very good. This is most likely the worst team since 2005. The OC sucks, the OL can’t block, the QB situation sucks, and the defense can’t over anyone. Even if the defense stops people the situation on offense is so bad it’s not even going to matter. Getting turnovers just to turn right back around and punt the ball back to the opponent is more demoralizing to a defense than just about anything else.

2 Likes

I agree. But right now I see a lot more potential in the defense than I do in the offense. I think Nardo deserves time, and I’ve already seen the evidence of coaching the players up. The offense however, may be a lost cause. Dunn was quite possibly the best receivers coach in all of football, but play calling is not his strength. And I don’t understand the issues with the O-line. I’m not sure why Dickey could be so successful at K-state and not here. I applauded his hiring, but I haven’t seen any improvement since then.

4 Likes

Need some new coaches inc the guy at the top, but that ain’t gonna happen till our W-L records reminds us of Bob Simmons…

1 Like

Yeah, you really should be trying to punch out or strip unless it’s a gang tackle or there’s a guy you know has issues w/ fumbling.

Could it be the top guy micromanages everything and he’s largely to blame? I am of the belief, and I have heard it’s true, that HCMGumby controls almost everything on the offensive side, so Dunn hasn’t had free rein to do what he wants, plus he’s handcuffed by a below average O-line since he’s had that gig. IMO Gumby deserves most of the blame for the O-line not being good since Joe Wickline left, didn’t want to give him a raise, refused to name him co-offensive coordinator.

This is worst than '04 or '05. This team is Bob Simmons bad.

2 Likes

Gundy’s responsible whether he is or isn’t micromanaging this team. There’s zero excuse for this team to be as bad as it is, and he’s the guy at the top.

2 Likes

My question is, how did it get so bad, so fast? NONE of our QBs can complete a basic pass attempt beyond 10 yards. Our defense is out of position on every play. It’s like we have a brand new program or something. I can’t comprehend it.

2 Likes

Game has passed Oline coach by. You can’t have favorites anymore. You have to play the best and have to develop younger guys way quicker. Being real is required for this generation of player and constant teaching plus recruiting.

2 Likes

It’s called swimming in your pool with 7.5 mil in cash while the program seeks self destruction.

2 Likes

Coaching matters. Its that simple.

4 Likes

The program has been in decline since Mr. Pickens passed away. He held everyone accountable and, unfortunately, that accountability is gone. I’ve long been a supporter of HCMG, but I hate to say it - he hasn’t kept up with the changes in the game, particularly the transfer portal and recruiting. “Cowboy Culture” sounds great to me, but I’m old. I don’t think any 18-22 year old kid cares about it, at all. At a minimum, we need to change the OC and the O line coaches. Maybe the head coach, too, if he can’t see that.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree, but as you probably well know, most of the people who post comments want a boogeyman and won’t blame Mike Gumby for anything. Thus it’s Dunn #1, then Dickey as the scapegoats. I’d like to see Gumby step down after this season and we hire a young, hungry dude who has great connections in discoTEX or is developing those w/ HS coaches. I think former UT and Tulsa QB and current HC at Texas State GJ Kinne might be a heck of a good choice the way Texas State has shown improvement this season!

Not widely know but Mr. Pickens was not a huge fan of Gumby. My friend visited his ranch a couple of times and that discussion came up!

Actually 7.6 plus that $1 mill retaining bonus after every season!

I thought this was widely known.

2 Likes

O RLY?! Never heard it before anywhere. We should do a poll somewhere, LOL.

This was well circulated on the Rivals boards back in the day. Pickens hated that Gundy couldn’t beat OU, even when having an equal or better team.

2 Likes