Opinion: Big 12, Luck Shafts Oklahoma State with Reschedules

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/opinion-big-12-luck-shafts-oklahoma-state-with-reschedules/

Why did a West Virginia-Baylor game get canceled for OSU to make a Waco to Morgantown trip?

Every other team in the league should boycott playing Baylor for “contact tracing”. My blood boils knowing that they’re still allowed to be in the big 12.

6 Likes

So Baylor is reckless, but it’s everyone else that gets screwed?!?!

We have 4 Top 10 games in a week, and could possibly have 3-4 games the next week in the Big 12. Then could have the NCAA tournament the following week. The odds of one of our players getting injured because of fatigue is real. If it happens to the future #1 pick, who’s going to answer for that?

Which begs a separate question: why is the NCAA supposedly concerned about football players when it comes to having a tournament?

2 Likes

I wish we would have kicked them out years ago. I’ve never seen a school (from the top down) getaway with what they do (literally murder).

2 Likes

Baylor gets healthy in time for Iowa State???

OSU goes will go into the Big 12 tournament with rubber legs from fatigue. Big 12 protecting Baylor so that they will garner publicity by making a deep run in the NCAA tournament by being rested. I hope the Boone twins will have good practices because both of them are going to be needed for more minutes from now on.

1 Like

There is NO comparison between what playing a football game does to an athlete physically, and what a basketball player endures in a game. Much more recovery is needed in FB. Still, the traveling and the hotel confinement are concerns.

Big 12 office proved immediately post-Briles that they would never have the balls to kick Baylor out. With what they have already gotten by with, it’s disingenious to say their handling of a global pandemic is what gets them the boot. With that said, I want them gone. Yesterday. There is no way they should be allowed to represent this conference, downtrodden though it may be. But I’ve screamed this for a while. To no avail.

2 Likes

All the schools will have tired legs except ku they have one game left.
Baylor still has 5 games.
This a good chance for us to pick up at least one good road win.
I will say this can be a great opportunity
If and its a big if, we lay of the 3’s and control the trunovers we could win 4 top 10 games.
Or lose the next 4 and go to the nit

1 Like

If they just pick up one more regular season win it would put them at 9-9 in conference play with a 16-9 record and if they win one in the Big 12 tourney they are 17-10 overall.

Not a great record but then again we have to look at the level of competition and some of the quality wins they have over other P5 D-1 programs.

I think they are going to get that 1 win (and possibly 2) and will probably pick up at least one win in the Big 12 tourney.

Yeah I’m for getting rid of them too. We can’t beat them in basketball (or really football too) any longer. Bring on the Houston Cougars!!!

Way to go captain obvious.

Wow what a change u want briles to come over and rude our program. Now Baylor is bad

Agree with this.

Split with OU (home and home which was already scheduled).

We previously played even with Baylor for 30 minutes without Cunningham and Walker, so they’re not unbeatable. They struggled with our zone and Boone and Moncrief feasted on the offensive glass, so we have a blueprint on how to beat them.

Traveling to West Virginia is difficult. That said, look at all the travel West Virginia deals with, and they’re currently 2nd in the conference.

I never said I wanted an exact Art Briles at our school. All I want is someone who coaches like Briles and recruits like him. You know…a coach that wants to win championships.

2 Likes

In your opinion, playing two extra footballs games with a week to recover is and playing 6-10 basket ball games in just over 2 weeks (with serious travel) aren’t compatible for wear and tear (physically and mentally)?

I beg to differ. I played both in college, and I would say for certain position in football you may be correct, but I played WR and SG, and would say the travel and the up and down the court would hurt more in a 2 week span (like this) than adding 2 more football games at years end (if your team is good enough to make it that far).

My point being the NCAA uses the student-athlete’s health as a reason to not do it, when this scenario is proving the athletes health isn’t really a concern.

This is pretty obvious right?

oSu-Baylor is much more likely to yield an undefeated Baylor than WV-Baylor. Guess who besides Baylor wants Baylor undefeated?

Maybe I’m too cynical, but it seems like the type of thing that would guide the Big12 “discretion” in rescheduling.

1 Like

To me it’s evident the Big 12 is hanging their hat on Baylor being the bell cow and want them to show up for the tourney. They are undefeated but haven’t had to play the games because of lack of leadership at Baylor. They shouldn’t be rewarded!

1 Like

Getting healthy and limiting Covid contact and sweeping bedlam is more important than making this bull trip to WV and Baylor.

Do they have to make this trip?

Making the tournament, being as healthy as possible with no one with Covid is more important than going for a higher seed and padding their resume

It’s just not worth it

1 Like

Totally agree. After the Bedlam back to back, Boynton should just say we’re afraid to travel this week, especially with Baylor’s history this season with Covid. Looking at total exhaustion for the Big 12 tournament. Thanks Big 12!