Oregon Reportedly Initiates 'Preliminary Discussions' with Big Ten; What that Could Mean for Big 12

Originally published at: Oregon Reportedly Initiates 'Preliminary Discussions' with Big Ten; What that Could Mean for Big 12 | Pistols Firing

Could the Pac-12 survive if Oregon left for the Big Ten?

We brent has passed this along before. With out any top people it sounds like 2 guys getting drunk on rush st.

I personal dnot want the 4 corners school.

1 Like

That depends on what your definition is of “survive”? USC and Oregon are the bellcows of that Conf. Those will be gone. Its a worse blow to the PAC than what happened to the Big 12 when OU/TX left. OU and TX are a flashier, better, valuable duo than USC/Oregon but the Big 12 has some solid programs left. to build around. The Big 12 leftovers are in a pretty good location regionally to grab some other programs and patch some holes. The PAC is not.

1 Like

I repeat like a broken record, for those old enough to have seen records,
Big 12 does not need Colorado unless they view cross country as a revenue sport.
Arizona might bring a quality basketball program to market if Lute Olso was alive and well, otherwise, UA and ASU bring almost nothing to the table. ASU brings good baseball teams, and their wrestling program is improving. Utah would be a good addition because of football. Oregon aka Phil Knight, has no interest in the Big 12 at this time. There has to be better options that the AZ schools and Colorado. Why is anyone even mentioning Colorado?

4 Likes

Utah we could probably talk into the best contract for all parties . There would be a good rivalry game for them and byu.

Wouldn’t this also Strengthen our Polynesian connections a little too ?

1 Like

Agree about Utah. The only other schools I’d like to see come are Oregon and Washington. The rest of them can go play elsewhere.

Not so sure about Oregon fitting in. Oregon would be a handful as an institution. Arrogant. Phil Knight is an ever present force. It would be like Texas, with better uniforms. And another hour and a half flight beyond our new Salt Lake/Provo acquisition. We don’t need the Ducks or Huskies.

2 Likes

Uo and wu have lost there play buddys. They may think there texas like, there not. Without the 4 cal teams theyve lost power. I would take them.

The only team they could team up with is ku

1 Like

Agree that Oregon and Washington would come with baggage. I just think it would be fun to have them in the conf, especially, and it would be my hope, if we beat them consistently.

Oregon & Washington are the only two that help the Big 12. The rest do not.

1 Like

Wow think for that insight. I dnt know what we would do with out you.

1 Like

I don’t want Stanford, Oregon,or Colorado… arrogant stiff leftists

2 Likes

Thomas Sowell is still at Stanford so there’s hope

3 Likes

Oregon and Washington are big time programs and have made the playoffs. They bring legitimacy and fans and the Pacific Time Zone. No other remaining Pac 12 team (maybe Stanford) does that. If the Big 12 is going to be the legit 3rd best conference, it needs those two. The Arizona schools, Colorado, and Utah do nothing.

2 Likes

I’m still banging the Memphis drum

I think the Big 12 should have added Memphis instead of Houston, but at this point, I don’t thing they bring anything to the table.

1 Like

The Big 12 needs the biggest fish it can get. Obviously the biggest of the fish is Notre Dame, but im talking in reality. The only two realistic options to get are Oregon and Washington. If you add those two, I think you soldify the Conf enought to where you dont lose any of your existing teams. It also does create a pretty good TV package. Right now the Big 12 has added a bunch of teams that really did nothing more than give you strength from a numbers standpoint. You dont need more programs like Memphis and so on. All that would do is dilute the TV money while adding nothing.

The problem though is that I dont think theres much of a chance to get Oregon/Washington. This will ruffle some feathers on here, but the new Big 12 isnt much better than the current PAC. So what good does it do to leave a bad Conf and go to an average Conf? If Oregon has its choice, theyd go where USC and UCLA are

1 Like

Can’t really argue with any of that . I just think it’s A realistic prospect that would get us in The thick of SECville .

Oregon would be a great get for the b12 .

You think our new Commish could get JayZ to come to a game or two ? West Virginia would go crazy with him at a game .

2 Likes

That’s the key = “if Oregon has its choice.” I’m not sure that they do have a choice to go with USC and UCLA. I can see the Big 10 adding Stanford and Cal to go along with the LA schools or maybe Stanford and Oregon. The Big 12 needs Oregon and/or Washington and a California school would be good to go along with them.

1 Like

The Big 10 isn’t adding a Stanford without Oregon.