OSU Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason set to take Sabbatical From Coaching in College

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/osu-defensive-coordinator-derek-mason-set-to-take-sabbatical-from-coaching-in-college/

OSU will be replacing its DC for a second straight year.

1 Like

Who’s Gundy going to get to replace Mason to coach these D-3 kids? I’m sure he will put do himself aging and grab a middle school defensive coach. Kidding obviously but not totally. Looks like are linebackers coach will be moving up.

1 Like

Mike better pray we don’t have a defensive exodus too or we will really be fcked.

3 Likes

The d 3 kid was on offense. So, you meaningless comment is less worth saying.

3 Likes

We have them on offense too?

1 Like

I’m guessing Joe Bob Clements will take over at DC.

4 Likes

Everyone here seems to have a general idea of what’s going on with the football program outside of Roberta and Michelle.

6 Likes

You would think, he already had somebody in mind by giving Mason just a one year contract or he’s dumber than I could ever imagine but every year he he proves me wrong on that front.

1 Like

Roberto has two accounts on here. Michael is the second.

3 Likes

TBH it seems kind of funny to me for someone to go through all the effort to pull up roots and move to Stillwater only to decide they were tired of the grind. I vote that there is something else going on. Not going to speculate on what as there is no value in it. I only hope the OSU lands on their feet when it comes to moving forward with the defense.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s joe bob time . Just like when he passed over Dunn for one year with gleeson .

3 Likes

Gah what the frick?? I thought he was on a 2 year deal?? I don’t think it could get much worse honestly. Could be the reason some of our defense guys left, surely they must of felt or knew something. These national guys I was listening to yesterday have been saying next season will be the downfall/decline or a resurrection of Mike Gundy next year. I don’t want to be the sky is falling type of fan but this has got to be for me like the worst off season I’ve experienced since Miles worst season.

3 Likes

Yeah I was just thinking that, probably somebody that really paid attention to Knowels will probably be promoted. I got a bad feeling we will struggle to hit 6-6 and more things may happen not in a good way to our roster. I honestly felt if we could had kept the roster intact including keeping Sanders with Dunn changing somethings we could had probably hit 10 wins in 2023. I could be wrong but last season I had us getting 10-11 wins, I was wrong but geeze I really wish I knew what was really going on internally.

2 Likes

Really 10 wins with maybe monkey or dana. We they going to out call the injuries. Seriously you can put your head in the ground or say the sky is falling, but missing the main issue of injuries is piss poor.

Not one person has explain how or why the play call fell of after the texas game. Seriously by ignoring injuries the only reason could be the whole coaching staff was getting high before the last 6 games.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen a grown man make excuses for other grown men the way you do Roberto. 7-6 at 7.5 million a year and you still defend his performance. Shameful.

3 Likes

Even with the injuries, we got plenty of depth. People for years use to say what separated OSU from OU was depth. My philosophy for injuries is the guy behind guy should come in and at least play average. We had 20+ guys on the o’line, a couple of cowboy backs, and one running back that can block. I’m just tired of hearing about injuries. The guys blocking either aren’t being developed, or can’t be. That’s on the staff to have these guys in the best position. Having 20+ men I would hope half of those could be ready to effectively block. I understand if a star QB or star wide receivers are hurt. But a decent o’line should be able to open holes for even a average running back. You might disagree, but we have the depth and these guys are struggling.

Probably

I hear ya. Wish gundy wasn’t so distant from his fan base.

4 Likes

I wish he was more of a players coach again, some media and ex players have said he doesn’t have a strong relationship with the players like he use too. I’m sure NIL has some blame but the mass exits have me pondering other things. The other things may not be true but it has me wondering.

1 Like

No big deal. It’s not like Gundy was going to be winning the conference ever.

2 Likes