OSU Football Staff

Wanted to take a second to give Mike Gundy the credit he deserves retaining his coaches that he was slammed for them possibly leaving (unfairly I might add). He has kep position coaches far longer than most successful ones are able to be retained at any school. He also make an upgrade with Dickey IMO when many were upset about losing Henson. He has also conformed and is using the portal as a useful resource while bringing in a new recruiting coordinator that has put an emphasis on it as well. He’s also kept Tylan for a year longer than most other places keep top talent (as he somehow usually does) and could (is?) keep(ing) Chuba as well. Then you add on the 3* QB that doesn’t count towards your class ranking, but is will help with depth. Nor do the former 4* and 3* transfers in the trenches with multiple years of eligibility. Now to address Knowles. He is doing an AMAZING job. People were for some dumb reason calling for his head at the beginning of the year, but now that he’s is getting his 3rd class going as well as developing the others, he is bringing the defense back to a level we haven’t seen since the beginning of this decade. Again, another slam dunk hire by Gundy. For today at least, he deserves some serious credit.

27 Likes

I agree 100%. Needs to fix playcalling and add more wrinkles to the offense, but off season has been a success so far.

1 Like

A thread on PFB + praising Gundy? Thought I would never see it. But yes! He’s done a great job with his staff and players. Should be a lot of optimism going onward but it seems like people are worn down with Gundy. Hopefully that changes and we sell some tickets!

5 Likes

I agree with HH but also agree with Cyberpoke, the offense needs to be brought back too. I’d like to see some innovation in the play calling dept. Don’t see why we can’t have our top ten offense and good D at the same time.

Plenty of credit for staff MGMT this week. There are all kinds of complaints against hcmg many of which aren’t educated and/or fair. However, for me, and I think most cowboy fans, I just want to feel like he is fully engaged, bought in, etc etc. I will live with in game decisions, personnel decisions etc etc I just want my coach to let it all hang out and to end the game without a single bullet left. Bedlam 2017

V happy he managed to retain a staff that lost to Texas tech. Raises all around.

Go win 10 games and make the CC game.

4 Likes

80th in yards allowed isn’t amazing. But looking forward to seeing him improve that next year.

2 Likes

If you have a better idea I’d love to hear it. Not just complaining like most uneducated takes have.

4 Likes

I spend $3k a year on a pair of tickets. I’ll complain about whatever I want. Including gundys desire to reinvent the wheel and defeatist attitude when it comes to recruiting.

4 Likes

measuring defenses by yards allowed is a fairly dumb way to measure defenses, especially in the B12 that often face more possessions than other conferences

Measure by PPD or at least by YPP if you’re looking for an actual useful ranking or comparison between defenses.

9 Likes

Ok Boomer

5 Likes

Beat me to it!!

1 Like

It’s also in the best offensive conference. They were top 50 in TDs allowed. Even better after the young players got acclimated at the end of the season. He recruited arguably the best defensive freshman ever at the program and developed others incredibly well. He did an amazing job no doubt. His recruiting has been near flawless to this point as well.

1 Like

Total defense was 59th. Give me any and all stats showing me that what Knowles is doing is amazing. I’m all for supporting him growing the players and becoming better but he’s by no means amazing yet.

1 Like

You can complain as much as you want. Nobody said you can’t, I just asked if you had an actual solution or just wanted to justify your whining with your pocket book.

6 Likes

again, total defense is a useless stat since teams face a different amount of plays and possessions. Look at their improvement in PPD the last few games compared to the first few

1 Like

I’m starting to think HH is actually Mike Gundy…AND I’M HERE FOR IT!!

2 Likes

No no that’s Chuba

2 Likes

Compared to the recent trends not only in Stillwater but across the conference in general, yes. He’s been pretty incredible. If we are going to criticize other programs for lack of improvement and developing players, then he can be patted on the back for doing the opposite.

1 Like

Do we get off your lawn too?

3 Likes