OSU Football Staff

Just don’t think that’s the standard we’d like to set.

Not at all.

It’s not accurate game to game. To me that’s a bad average metric. Real averaged numbers are better across the board if you’re looking to gauge teams by progress.

We might be seeing one of the reasons why PPD is a better metric in the Sugar Bowl right now. Baylor may not come back but the Georgia defense is acting gassed and the announcers even mentioned how they tried to focus on conditioning because they weren’t used to facing this many drives in a game.

I agree that the overall offensive pace is increasing but I don’t think we’ve hit parity yet.

Of course right as I say that, the game slows down a bit and Georgia looks to get a 2nd (3rd…4th?) wind.

1 Like

This is flat out wrong. How many times have we beaten Texas in the past decade? Not one time did we have “better players” by recruiting rankings.

6 Likes

Yet, that same gassed Georgia defense only gave up 14 points…

It’s most definitely both. The other argument for our defensive improvement could be that the offense sputtered is bad as well and played much, much slower.

Now do Alabama. Or Oklahoma.

Texas doesn’t have good culture which trumps all.

Gundy has the culture down but he favors scheme and development > highly rated players.

It’s why lose to ou every single year.
Ou has good culture and better players. We can throw any scheme we want, not gonna win.

“Now do the anomaly of the dynasty of College football right now”

Who did lose to Auburn this year.

1 Like

Well…he’s right. Those schools have the highest concentration of 4/5-star guys…and they always win the national championship. That cannot be denied.

And like I said in another thread…if we played LSU, we’d be erased. Like…on an atomic level, we’d be eradicated. No scheme is going to beat them.

1 Like

Baylor briefly had them on their heels, and they were noticeably tired to the extent that even the TV announcers pointed it out. On the next play, there was an injury, followed by a review, followed by a media timeout. When they came back Georgia was noticeably less winded and Baylor never returned to tempo (which was how they marched down the field and scored their last touchdown). Had Baylor been able to push tempo at that point (and if Brewer hadn’t hade the mistake of getting hit out of bounds) I think the score would have been a lot tighter (I still think Georgia wins).

How did LSU get Burrow?

1 Like

Transfer…?

1 Like

So, they got their program changing QB via transfer?

LSU is great beyond their quarterback, if that’s what you’re inferring…

1 Like

My biggest thing is if it were so simple as “get better players” don’t you think EVERYONE would be doing it. It’s not easy. I have said that yeah, Gundy and co. probably need to recruit better, however I don’t think it’s really a lack of effort that’s not getting us 15 5 stars every year.

Better players are going to win more, duh. But in the case of the middle programs like OSU, we have to have a good scheme in order to play with the guys with the better talent. Also it does go both ways. We have more talent than Taco Tech, yet they have beaten us two years in a row…

2 Likes

A.) Tech is about as good as us talent wise, so I can’t necessarily agree with that.

B.) Again…no one’s asking for a bunch of 5-star guys overnight. I’ve said this 100,000 times, do it INCREMENTALLY.

C.) Not everyone can do that. I understand that. But OSU, specifically, can. I feel like we sell ourselves short so much.

Remember how I said I try to avoid the “effort” debate? This is where I’d love to know how the program is sold. What historical statistical data is given to recruits, to convince them to commit to OSU? What does Gundy tell each of these guys, to sell them that, yes dude, we are just as good as Michigan recently…better than Texas…better than Washington…we are, generally speaking, as good or better than teams that recruit better than us. So…what gives?

Of course, the easy cop-out answer is “ReSoUrCeS”. I need something better than that.

They weren’t erasing teams last year. They were good but not to this level. Besides maturity of young recruits, what was the biggest change? They got a game changing QB… Through the transfer process (just like UO has been doing) which is the area of recruiting OSU has been focused on and finding success. I don’t discount the value of the number of 247/Rivals points a recruit has, but it’s starting to look like the teams that rise up are priming the pump through transfers.

Also don’t discount the value of scheme. Look at Texas over the past few years and you will see what a surplus in talent with a deficiency in plan gets you.

I’m not discounting the transfer process. I mean…it is currently working for us really well, happy with the pickups so far.

But you need those guys that “live and breathe OSU football”, so to speak. The legends that come in as freshmen, build great careers, so on and so forth. Like Justin Blackmon, personal issues aside…or Zack Robinson, even (not necessarily saying he’s a “legend”, but he was very important to building the “brand”).