OSU Player Mt. Rushmore

Sam is shooting for the OU Mt. Rushmore by shoveling as much shite as possible in our direction.

1 Like

Barry
Kurland
John Smith
Charles Howell III - No one else will agree on this one, but I wanted a golfer to represent our second best sport. He won an individual championship setting a record low score at the time, a team championship, and won the Haskins award. Even though we aren’t taking into consideration pro careers, he has still won more money than any other OSU golfer (Rickie will probably pass him this year). Also just a great dude. If the 2019 team had won I would probably go with Wolff, but he got rolled in match play.

3 Likes

I love you. Officially. I wanted SO badly to use him, I just wish he was a bigger ambassador

1 Like

Great minds think alike. I agree about the ambassador thing. He’s just very quiet and old school, it’s just not his thing.

1 Like

John Smith - I’m not even a fan of wrestling - sorry don’t hate me… but Smith has to be on the list. Immense success as an athlete, Olympian and coach.

Robin Ventura - Simply the best hitter in college baseball history. 2-time POTY, .428 batting average !!!, NCAA-record 58-game hitting streak.

Barry Sanders - Easy one here, Barry had the best season in college football history. Not to mention he went on to be one of the greatest NFL RB’s of all-time.

Mike Holder - Maybe my most controversial pick, BUT he’s done immeasurable acts for athletics fundraising at OSU, not to mention, Holder is one of five coaches in NCAA history, regardless of sport, to win a national championship in four different decades.

Fun fact: he married my high English teacher’s daughter. Also made $1 mil on the PGA tour 18 straight years. On pace to make it 19 years.

1 Like

He is a bigger ambassador than you realize. He’s just not a flashy type of guy. Also , what about Bob Fenimore as at least a mention? Took me a while to realize/look up his greatness pre internet.

1 Like

Fenimore definitely worth a mention as a runner-up. Not sure I can knock anybody off the list for him, but I agree with your point.

Barry
Bryant
Robin
Ricky

I don’t even need last names for you to know who I’m talking about, which is why I think they are the four I’d pick. John Smith would be here, but since he gets to be on the coaches one that made it easier. Ricky might need to watch out though… Victor or Matt Wolff might be fighting for his spot soon.

Oh and it might be worth mentioning Tony Allen here if we factor in pro years.

1 Like

In terms of talent… Wolff is already better than Rickie. :eyes:

But I doubt anyone ever reps OSU in the golf world like Rick does.

2 Likes

FIFY

Oh I’m sorry, has Hovland won a professional tournament?

1 Like

Before I climb on my soapbox I am going to leave work and partake in some 7&7’s. Will return to this later. Maybe. But probably not.

1 Like

Wolff is the best player to ever come through OSU. He’s better than Hovy, better than Rick. As much as I love them both. Wolffy is other worldly with his talent.

Hovland is so so so consistent thought

Drink lots of them before providing your take.

1 Like

This post didn’t make it a month before Hovy got one! Not mocking you… just happy for Hovland.

2 Likes

Shots fired @ScottCorken.

PS- I miss you Scott, my friend, my pal, mi amigo.

4 Likes

I’m going w/ this list but I’m swapping out Inky for Robin.

1 Like

Coming out of semi retirement. Love that Hovland won and it’s definitely not an “easy” win, buttttttt most of the top players were in Mexico. :wink:

I think Hovland, Wolff and Rick are obviously all incredible. They’ve all got their niche I think.

Hovland - Extremely consistent and even. Think Francesco Molinari before the 12th at Augusta. Even keel, plays his game and can win by being the guy who doesn’t make mistakes and just hits the shot needed. Nothing fancy and not really going to wow you, but ultra successful.

Wolff- Flashy. Makes big moves. Can be the best on the course any given Thursday - Sunday but also can be… well bad if he’s off. Brooks Koepka type. When he’s on and engaged, almost unbeatable and can MASH the ball. But when uninterested or one part isn’t clicking it goes down hill fast.

Rickie - Fashion Icon. Kidding, kind of. He’s kind of the middle ground between the two above to me. Has “play making” ability and can get really aggressive as we’ve seen, but also lays back and is conservative at times and just plays his game.

Hovland may end up with more tournaments won, but Wolff seems more likely to win a Major not named the Masters.

Oh and by the way, Rickie wins either the Masters or the PGA this year. It’s time.

Back to retirement.

5 Likes

Would be so incredible. That guy deserves it. Every major Saturday morning I’m like “YES! This is the (saturday proceeds to happen)…oh.”

4 Likes