OSU’s Defense Can Be Really Good Again in 2022

Originally published at: OSU’s Defense Can Be Really Good Again in 2022 | Pistols Firing

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic about OSU’s defense.

Will they be one of the best defenses in the country? No.
Will they be one of the best in the conference? Yes

4 Likes

The biggest benefit for two new LBs (or 4 or 6, depending on how deep you want to consider) is to have a dominate defensive line. And, brother, we will have a dominate defensive line.

Of course, a pass rush will also make our cornerbacks much better.

4 Likes

We don’t have to be elite as long as we can be sound . Wrap up and bring them down . Get in the qbs face . I think/hope our offense is in a different gear than it was the last couple years .

But man am I gonna miss MalRod flipping the fatties around . Seriously want a montage of that .

3 Likes

Agreed. Having a great D-Line can make up for some deficiencies/inexperience on the back end.

1 Like

The defense will be good in places better. Lb will hurt

The great front line will help cover up issues like it did last year. I hope mason gets the dbs in better position to get pics.

2 Likes

It works both ways, too. Having a great secondary gives the pass rush a chance to get those coverage sacks, but yes, I’m hoping that D-line will be disruptive and make everyone’s life easier.

2 Likes

Yea one of the best that I saw was of him hip throwing a 300+ pound dude like he was a little child.

3 Likes

I’m with you there. The best pass defense is a good front rush , in your face before you know where you want to go. MRod will certainly be missed , more than you know. Kid just had a knack to be around the ball every play
I hope we go fast on offense. Sanders does best in it

2 Likes

I remember 2 years ago, Christian Holmes was a big ? And got “burned” several times that caused me to doubt. But. After a year in Gundy’s/Glass’ (Duffie’s) Program, Holmes wasn’t just adequate, He was the definition of his position.

4 Likes

Will Gundy win another conference championship in our lifetime? NO

I dnt see this defense being worse as players. I think we will see different offenses.

I think some teams lost there running game. There will be more up tempo. Im hoping with mason being a secondary guy he helps us. We had some bad games. Bayolr 17 passes in arow. Nd just torched the safeties.
Only a couple of teams did run against us. It will be more passing. Hope that means bigger yards lost in sacks and more pics.

1 Like

One thing about Knowles, as good as he was, is that teams would have the tight ends run longer routes against us, and it worked everytime and we’d adjust at halftime every time and shut it down. I could not understand it.

2 Likes

Yes ive talked about the te killing us nd was a killer. If Daniels is half as good as we think could help that.

I loved how things worked out with knowles. I just thought some things fit into our defense. 1 thing that is good gundy all ready knows up tempo passing is coming and mason is a good db coach. We have the front. The back end will be tested.

1 Like

Yea I had the same observation. They consistently played loose, for lack of a better term because my football IQ is low, in the first half which didn’t work too well generally. They would come back in the second half with adjustments and shut the other team out. I never could understand why they couldn’t start a game with their second half schemes.

2 Likes

In game adjustment is crucial in tight games. That was an area Knowles wasn’t good at. Anxious to see what he does at tosu

1 Like