OSU Turf Department Hot Seat Thread

Future Dr. Ohms Employment Interviewer: So you did your doctoral research at Oklahoma State University?

Dr. Ohms: Yes, I did. It was fantastic Physics research.

Future Dr. Ohms Employment Interviewer: As fantastic as that crapload of grass research done at Oklahoma State for the 2023 Super Bowl Turf?

Dr. Ohms: :grimacing: Well, at least gravity still worked! :grin:

1 Like

If a job I was applying to s*** on me because of turf developed at a different department of my University I would not want to work there :rofl:

3 Likes

That’s not really how people at Stanford act

Sure

I honestly don’t buy it but you say really off things about CA.

Back to being a turf meme

This is why, in my eyes, the 1945 title doesn’t count. Ya its legit, but zero CFB fans in the US count it.

1 Like

1 Like

When was the turf installed? All I see this far is a 2/8 reference to “recently installed”

Was the turf installed by OSU?

1 Like

We need answers

1 Like

Truth can sting.

It appears the answer to that is no, and the answer to my question is approximately 4 weeks ago. And I knew China had to somehow be involved!! :sunglasses: Last, will someone with turf management expertise please explain to me why they would 1) opt for experimental sod over what they acknowledge is a long-term proven grass; and 2) since they do consider it experimental, why they don’t install it further out than 4 weeks?

Not an expert but here’s my opinion.

1. They don’t have a proven grass for that stadium. They ripped up the field that was in place because it had also been scrutinized (Fiesta Bowl, Kyler’s injury, Chiefs preseason game last year, etc.). The climate makes the field slick and then you had in the paint all over the field and it was like an ice rink. I think it was fine to use a new grass but they didn’t test it properly.

2. You want to let the grass grow at the sod farm for as long as possible. It’s going to get much thicker, stronger, and develop a better root system at the sod farm than in the tray at the field. In hindsight, they probably should have waited until later to install at the field.

3 Likes

Product is fine. This was an installer issue along with trying to grow grass in the desert.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight. Although I figured all that paint couldn’t be good for any turf, I sure wasn’t aware of concern with their previous sod and it’s interesting to learn about letting it grow longer at the sod farm rather than the final site. I figured the root system would develop better in its final location.

1 Like

Our honor is being defended by a Sooner!

2 Likes

OSU Turf department redemption arc.

4 Likes