OSU Wrestling: John Smith Announces Retirement

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/osu-wrestling-john-smith-announces-retirement/

The GOAT

There really aren’t enough words to describe what Coach Smith has meant to OSU. Every accolade he has earned and deserved. Thank you for all you have done!

2 Likes

Shocking, sad, and expected, but not this soon.
We all knew that retirement was near with the hire of Coleman. But I figured it wouldn’t be until Sam Smith finished his career.
On the other hand, I also wondered how long coach could accept so many years without another NCAA team title and no signs of that happening as long as Cael Sanderson is a coach.
My guess is that coach Smith was so impressed with Coleman’s coaching this season that he felt he could turn over the program now.
I’ll really miss his weekly media interviews and the John Smith radio show. He was always candid with no show of ego.
I only found recently out that he competed in one of his NCAA tournaments with a dislocated shoulder, causing him to wrestle one handed in all of those matches. What a true legend.
He’s looked so tired the last few years, he deserves a rest. For me, Cowboy wrestling fan for past 58 years, OSU wrestling matches will never feel the same without John Smith.
We can only hope that Coleman Scott’s energy will result in a much higher level of recruiting.
It’s a safe bet that Coleman will be named permanent head coach any day now. Curios to see who he hires as assistant coach. I would bring in Dieringer. If not, then a non-Cowboy to get some new blood in the program.
Until then, time to mourn this great loss.

3 Likes

I remember heading up to Stillwater from eastern to do a meat judging clinic and stopping to get gas alongside another huge ford ten passenger van and the wrestling team spills out of it . We were all a little geeked out seeing John Smith . Great coach . What a legacy .

2 Likes

we have been so lucky over the last 33 years to see what coaching class looks like. Maybe he hasn’t had the results over the past several years that we hope for, but he always cared himself with dignity in class. Every parent sent their child to wrestle at Oklahoma State University knew That they weren’t just taught wrestling but life lessons in morality. My only regret with him leaving is he won’t be here to get to coach and some of the new facilities that are coming around the corner. There’s no way we would have these facilities if not for him. I wish Coach Scott the best of luck. I think he will be an excellent hire. All the sports out there, I think wrestling would be the easiest to turn around based on the NL landscape. I think the first order of business for a program is ramping up our club program. We have to get a club program that’s on par with these other schools on the East Coast. But that is for another day. Today we recognize the brilliance of the goat thanks, Coach Smith.

3 Likes

I’m sure they’ll still wrestle in the Big 12, but going out owning OU as a full member of our conference is a fitting end. He’s accomplished so much and made us expect to fight for a national title every single year. A well earned retirement for a Cowboy legend!

2 Likes

I hope that when John and Chad address the media on Monday that coach will discuss the real reason for deciding to retire. He’s been pretty open with the media during his career. I hope this was not a forced retirement due to pressure from the donors. Hiring Coleman Scott suggests it was not forced, but planned in advance by coach.
The lack of replies to this news on this blog shows how far down the wrestling program has dropped in status at OSU.

1 Like