OSU Wrestling: Minnesota Defeats Oklahoma State 18-12 as Young, Gfeller Score Upsets

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/osu-wrestling-minnesota-defeats-oklahoma-state-18-15-as-young-gfeller-score-upsets/

The Cowboys lost for the first time this season but had a couple of outstanding upsets.

Sheets wins his match is thd difference maker Is Minnesota ranked in the top ten ?

1 Like

There where at least 3 match we should have won.

But god we did beat a 2nd and a 3rd so we have something to look forward with.

Still being road out.

1 Like

Yea I don’t understand not being able to escape. I’ve never seen it this bad with.a Smith team. I couldn’t see it but from the comments we still sit back, not aggressive Mastro getting handled too was crap
I don’t see any Ringers in this bunch

1 Like

The match should be called the good, the bad , and the ugly.

The good was Young beating the 3rd ranked 141 pounders and doing so in a manner that leaves little doubt he could do it again. This after a rough start where Young lost to some 3rd tier guys. Gfeller was also part of the good, beating 2nd ranked 157 pounder, a guy that spanked Sheets last year. Is coach Smith sure he wants Sheets to drop down to 157 and take over that spot. Fix and Plott also count as good, though would have been nice if Fix got a major (but kid he wrestled was tough).

The bad was Wittlake, Voinovich, Mastro, and Doucet. Wittlake wanted to go up to 184 and he got a big 184 guy to wrestle. Wittlake faced a solid wrestler, but a guy not likely to be an All American. If Wittlake wants to repeat as AA at 184 he has got to figure out a way to beat guys like this. Likewise with Voinivich. Faced tough guy, but not an AA. If he wants to be an AA has to beat guys like this. Mastro faced a very good 125 pounder and lost. Would be nice if Mastro could get better and beat guys like McKee, but he is a 2 time AA and a guy likely to place in top 4 this year. Never thought Doucet was up to being an AA, but looked pretty good till now. Just got to hope he get better as first year starting and not a guy team is counting on.

The ugly was Sheets and Surber. Both were clearly better than guys they wrestled and yet they lost. Sheets basically fell down twice in first period to give other guy 4-2 lead. Just too much to overcome. Surber lost to a guy he could seemingly take down at will. Why didn’t he just take the guy down and let him up instead of losing 2 penalty points trying to ride him and put himself behind so he lost match.

2 Likes

Surber, Wittlake, Trevor, all ridden like a rented mule. John has stated that we worked all summer on escaping. Not strong enough. Our strength and conditioning coach and system must be to blame. Won’t be strong enough till we make a change. Gary has to go…

2 Likes

It’s the head coach that needs to go. If the old school white jackets were still around and not in the ground. He would already be gone.
Doing the same thing and expecting a different…

1 Like

Guaranteed something needs to change ……this isn’t OSU wrestling

1 Like