OSU Wrestling: Oklahoma State Beats Stanford 29-7 to Open Season

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/osu-wrestling-oklahoma-state-beats-stanford-29-7-to-open-season/

The Cowboys start the season off with a road win.

Good showing considering we started the season with a dual instead of an open tournament. This team is going to wrestle a lot better later in the season.
I had hoped that Daton Fix would have a more aggressive style this season but he looked the same as he has. I don’t think he takes enough shots, especially in the early parts of the match. Too much defense. Not used to having to wrestle while on the bottom is showing. But no doubt he has been working on the bottom in practice. At the start of the season I expressed concern about our weak weights being at 141 and 149 unless Carter Young was in there. I still am concerned about Wyatt Sheets being hampered by a knee that is mending. Keeps him from performing at his full potential. Pleasant surprise at heavyweight. I think Surber described his skills accurately. Really quick on his feet. Not sure if he weighs enough to handle the bigger boys when it comes down who is stronger. But he should do well in duals. Good looking team but still not enough talent to compete for the NCAA title. How we do against Mizzu will really show us where we are. AJ is really fun, taunting his opponent to take a shot. I hope they don’t start deducting a team point for some of his entertainment like that. He should forget about MMA and just sign on the dotted line for professional fake wrestling after he collects his fifth title. A true crowd favorite. Who beat him last season?