OSU Wrestling: The Top 10 Wrestlers of the John Smith Era

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/osu-wrestling-the-top-10-wrestlers-of-the-john-smith-era/

A look at the top 10 wrestlers of the John Smith coaching era.

1 Like

Started oSu in 1992. Fried, Purler, and Smith gave oSu an incredible start to any dual.

2 Likes

Seth, a little note here: I feel like Top 10 lists should be in reverse order. It isn’t as compelling to read about the best first. It is also the order they announce the finishers on the podium - first place always comes last.

2 Likes

One guy who wrestled for John Smith I thought had a chance to be on the honorable mention list at the start of his OSU career was the Russian fellow whose name I can’t recall. I think his first name was Alan and he was 197 or heavyweight. If not for tearing his pectoral muscle I think it was he could have been great. It was a very serious injury that really derailed his career. I think he was a transfer from somewhere.

1 Like

I initially had the same impression about the reversed order but after I thought about how the whole world now seems turned upside down, the reverse ranking order is quite appropriate for the times.

Not my intent to discount Pat Smith’s winning four titles but I still can’t believe he did that! He was certainly talented when I saw him wrestle in high school but never envisioned him winning four, let alone three or even two titles. I always thought the youngest brother, Mark, was gonna be the monster but he was really interested in football.

Amazing for Pat to outdo his two famous brothers, at least on the collegiate level. I wish we could find a way for him to work for our wrestling program again!

This guy: https://okstate.com/sports/wrestling/roster/alan-gelogaev/1753

1 Like

Yes, thank you for that correct info.

1 Like

No worries, you are welcome!

I remember Pat Smith being interviewed after winning another NCAA title, maybe the 4th one, not sure, but on national tv he said that their youngest brother, Mark, is a better wrestler than any of them. It’s too bad that was not the case at all. I wonder why he stopped being an assistant coach at OSU? I know he has his own wrestling camp, but not sure what the story is about why he left.