Out of His World: Mike Gundy's Message of Bravado Comes at the Worst Possible Time

I disagree with this.

Either you make $5 million as the most visible employee of a large institution or you’re just a football coach. You don’t get to be both.

3 Likes

His comments were ill timed and he did end up coming off as sounding a bit like a guy who claims to know more than he does because he read a WebMD or Wikipedia article.

I just don’t think he deserves to be painted as megalomaniac showing his true colors or sociopath who only cares about his “kingdom” at the expense of the people who make it possible, which is what I got out of this article.

I HIGHLY doubt Gundy is thinking “To hell with all these students and visitors who attend the games, they can get sick and die for all I care, I just want to coach football and make $$$.”

Do I agree with Gundy’s assessment? Not entirely, but nothing about it struck me as evil, just a guy with an opinion who has no control over the situation.

2 Likes

Or his mouth!

yeah, I don’t disagree, he talks way too much sometimes.

but I don’t think he revealed himself to be some soulless monster

1 Like

You can mark out independent because they put out more meaningful content then the athletics department as well.

He just makes you appreciate Josh Holliday.

Kenny Gajewski too. That guy is a rock.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing…fair and balanced! haha!

1 Like

That’s complete tin-foil-hat theory, my friend. There are many other well-deucated and informed opinions out there, many of which are suggesting it’s Chinese-made in a lab, etc.

I think he was sharing his opinions. He wasn’t on a stage somewhere as a medical expert - no one’s going to think that. Was he brash, yes. Who’s surprised at that?! But, who in their right mind is going to consult him, or Dabo, or Saban, or any coach on how to effectively deal with this. He was voicing an opinion obviously many people share. No one is going to follow his cunsel on epidemiology, for crying out lous. I think the PFB response was overblown, myself…which, is also their opinion and their right.

So, I’ll have to take back my comment about you not reading my post! I appreciate the response.

1 Like

But he said he’s been home doing research and studying all of this LMAO. During his opening monologue, when he was sharing his medical expertise, I just knew he was going to bring up the miracles of hydroxychlorioquine.

2 Likes

Porter, dude, you totally missed it with this article.

3 Likes

Thank you for reacting to the comment. It is up to you to take on board the feedback or resort to sarcasm. In no way did I suggest that your articles should always be written with an orange coloured pen. You complained about timing and tone of Gundy’s comments but your writing in this case is no different. I don’t think people in general are looking for dark/negative view points at this time given there is enough of it with people dying in droves all over the world. It is optimism that needed. You just attacked a guy for trying to do just that. It is not a good look for PFB.

My take on Gundy’s tone was upbeat, look for positives in this situation, don’t point fingers, plan for the best and adjust as necessary, granted he did get on to the Big 12 and NCAA for reacting too slowly and he did unload on the media for only reporting negative news. Your response was to point your finger and yell as loud as you could that Gundy was out of touch. You do realize he said the staff in the building would come back first then the players. The staff doesn’t come back until stay at home conditions are lifted in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
Maybe his attack on the media is what really got to you Kyle or was your article just a clickbait poor job of journalism? I am even more incensed at the stink you made and the way you took things out of context after I read the entire opening 20 minutes of the press conference. Actions have consequences, good luck getting access to the next Gundy presser, you have lost my confidence.

I don’t think media access is determined by how positive or negative you are toward an entity, unless we are living in a country other than the one I think we are living in.

If this is how it works, then Yahoo, SI and the Oklahoman won’t be allowed at his pressers either.

1 Like

To be fair though:

Evidence does point to COVID-19 originating in China, if it’s a fact then I don’t see the problem with stating it.

Calling it the “Chinese Virus” is pretty inflammatory, at a minimum, though. It kind of gives off a finger pointing vibe, when it’s really the entire world’s problem now. China and the US are behaving like children with their back and forth blame game. two of the most powerful countries on the planet, think about the progress we could have with eradicating this pandemic if they devoted all that energy to working together.

(opinion alert) I don’t believe (or hope) Gundy used that term to be racist, I think he’s just a guy who’s used to saying what he wants with no filter, and irreverently likes to say things that represent anti “political correctness.”

Bottom line: I think (hope) Gundy’s intentions were good and he’s just rough around the edges and a bit ignorant on the topic. No one can really know but him

1 Like

He’s also talking about starting 3 weeks from now. We are currently about 2 weeks into a stay at home order that was supposed to last 2-3 weeks so everything he said is perfectly reasonable