PF Book Club?

Does reading the Chamber comments count?

5 Likes

Interested.

I’m in

So do we all need to get Talking to Strangers, or some other book?

Yeah, let’s do Talking to Strangers. I’ll follow up with a date/time at the end of the month where we can all convene and discuss. Looking forward to it!

4 Likes

Finished Talking to Strangers tonight. Will have some sort of discussion end of Jan. for anyone interested. Don’t feel like you have to read the whole thing. Just knock out the parts you can!

3 Likes

I just finished it, too! Look forward to the discussion.

Could we get a list for the next few books? May need to put a library hold on them.

5 Likes

Finished. In!

1 Like

Finished it this morning, and look forward to discussing Malcolm Gladwell’s latest book, Jerry Sandusky Is Misunderstood with everyone.

2 Likes

Started late - week an a half ago - and have ~50 pages to go. Looking forward to our discussion.

Let’s plan on discussing this throughout the day tomorrow. You can come with thoughts, chime in but it can be asynchronous.

1 Like

OK, Talking to Strangers. First question …

What was your biggest takeaway from the book?

When talking to strangers, trust is necessary but it’s also precarious. We must proceed cautiously, humbly, and inquisitively.

1 Like

My biggest takeaway is twofold, don’t assume that anyone understands you, especially based on non-verbal cues, and default to charitably construing other people.

How incredibly easy it is for one to misunderstand or misconstrue other’s true intentions, and the huge effect that can have on future interactions. The Sandra Bland incident in particular was very eye opening. I remember when it was in the news, but had never really gotten into the details of it.

Not exactly taken from the book, but taken from inflection on the book… Things will always be taken as one perceives them for him or herself. The best (or worst) of intentions can be taken completely wrong, simply because of the presentation of the information. A person’s past dealings and interactions play a huge effect into the way they perceive information.

As a kid/young adult in athletics I always responded well to a coach holding me to a high standard, being intense, etc. But I had grown up in a family that expected success and hard work. As I have aged, I have grown to understand why some of the other guys couldn’t handle being yelled at. They had probably either a) never been yelled at before or b) had only been yelled at in a demeaning and downgrading manner.

As the communicator we forget that a person’s past (even though long gone and irrelevant to the current moment) frames the way they will react in any situation. Ok lol I will get out of my rabbit hole now.

1 Like

Don’t assume the stranger is wrong because they are different. And simultaneously, communication is incredibly important between strangers and those we know more closely.

It’s easy to be at one end of the spectrum of trust and distrust. Finding a place to consider both sides is crucial to avoid jumping to conclusions for/against people.

I’m late to the party here, but would love to hop into the book club on the next reading.

1 Like

I think my biggest takeaway was the need for sympathy and (when necessary) empathy. I – for whatever reason – expect others to act and react in similar ways (or the same way) I do, and that is almost never the case in real life. I thought the Friends stuff was fascinating when it talked about differences in facial reactions and how we think we know something or can interpret it based on the caricature or Hollywood version of that thing, but everybody responds differently to different things.

I don’t know if this was the intention, but it definitely made my heart toward the rest of the world kinder (even to PV Poke).

4 Likes