PFB+ Debate: City, suburban or rural living?

Man I just got my home inspection report back and well :confused:

Mold possibility in a few places which I know is standard on every home inspection report . And the house is about a hundred years old so I was ready for that . I had questioned a spot or two but they found more . Which is good that they caught it but also meh/grrr

I missed a couple loose bricks on the chimney and the mortar on the chimney needs to be repointed .

Roof vents are cracked which hopefully is the source of the mold and can be remedied easily .
Couple electrical plugs were iffy and need replaced .

Water well has nitrites in it and we were already thinking of doing a RO system for the house .

Mold guy should be out tomorrow to tell us if, what, and where . As well as how to remedy and prevent further Problems .

Now we need to see if the seller will fix all or any of these problems . My stomach is in knots . I want to be out of the cityburbs so bad but not bad enough to spend that much on a moldy houseā€¦

Thanks for reading my vent .

1 Like

That sucks man. Luckily most of that is easily repaired, but thatā€™s the crappiest part about homebuying is the luck, or lack thereof, on what kind of person the seller is.

Hope things go smoothly for you brother.

1 Like

I gotta say with a hundred year old house if that is all they found you should be jumping for joy. The mold issue is normally not a big deal but wait to see what the mold guy says. I would push for the seller to fix that and thinking it is likely one of those things they have to anyway as it is a health issue. Of course I might be biased as I have done some remodels from hell and little phases me now.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, I think(Hope) theyā€™re good people. He was an ag teacher (which there Are unsavory ones too) and she was a nurse which had ties to family members alma mater (Michigan state) and we had a lot of Other quasi familiarity and connections right off the bat . But they are also divorcing and probably both want money to start over so thereā€™s that .

We just have to see what all these repairs are going to entail, Cost and when they can be performed .

We are also first time buyers except for my little shop in Alex that I bought for 10k and new that Iā€™d have to repair going into it beforehand .

@OSUPSYCHO that makes me feel a little
Better . We had a hairline fracture on a water pipe upstairs on my folks house in Tuttle that dropped down the wall unnoticed for lord knows how long until we caught it . That little trickle caused a ton of work to be done on that wall and then the crawl space underneath got super moist and had mold on the bottom of the floor boards so my stress is probably coming from that experience . But thereā€™s not an active leak at this new place so Iā€™m not Actually comparing apples Here .

Mold guy should be out tomorrow and we will know more then.

And weā€™ve asked the sellers to make these repairs and the future mold repairs if thatā€™s what the mold inspector finds . We shall see .

1 Like

City dweller since college (20+ years). Family has a cabin in the middle of no where, its great for a few weeks at a time but 45 min drive to a store that doesnā€™t have much gets old. Ideally, I would love to live in the USVI for 1/2 the year and Chicago for the rest.

4 Likes

Iā€™m guessing most of us would like to live in the USVI for half the year. :laughing:

3 Likes

Hell no we wouldnā€™t like to do that

Just donā€™t ask my lady.

4 Likes

My wife ā€œwantedā€ to after a spat with her parents . I was sending her properties :sweat_smile:

Suburbs or the city
All it does is make you shout
I feel lots of pity
If you donā€™t live on the rural route.

8 Likes

I think it honestly depends on where you are and what stage of life youā€™re in.

I was raised in the country - and I love it. One of our biggest arguments right now is do we get land and build something or do we get close to campus so we have some neighborhood walkable amenities. (Stillwater)

We raised our kids in the burbs for school. We would be perfectly fine staying in Edmond. If we were planning to stay in the metro, I could see us moving midtown or downtown.

7 Likes

I hope thereā€™s a never a stage of life in which I wake up and say ā€œyep I wanna live in a concrete jungleā€

7 Likes

Iā€™m hereā€¦

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQ0eOMY7z4

Let me know if we can be neighbors.

2 Likes

I sing this and his twinkle twinkle lucky star to my baby when I put her down for her nap . Sometimes jambalaya too .

2 Likes

You are a good dad.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be willing to bet sheā€™s the only baby in NJ that gets old country lullabies lol

Whenever she falls and gets her hurt or is scared we sing the camp town races and she knows itā€™s going to be ok . It works pretty darn well .

2 Likes

Youā€™ll have to move north for that

Gee, I wonder how people from an Ag school are going to vote on thisā€¦ :woozy_face:

3 Likes

I think there are significantly more non ag majors in this forum

5 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s fair. However, Iā€™m speaking more in general to the student population, where they come from.

1 Like

I know a lot of kids who came to college from the farm and moved to the city. Just more opportunity to ā€œget rich quickā€