PFB+ Exclusive: Q&A with Oklahoma State Commit Makale Smith

Last week, Makale Smith became the fourth in-state standout to commit to Oklahoma State in the 2021 cycle.

Out of Mike Gundy’s hometown of Midwest City, Smith is an athlete for the bombers playing wide receiver and corner, the latter of which he is expected to play at Oklahoma State. I had the chance to chat with him Thursday, and we talked about his commitment and his upcoming move to full-time defender.

Marshall Scott: “I’ll just start with the broad question, why Oklahoma State?”

Makale Smith: “Honestly, I felt more comfortable when I was talking to the coaches. I wanted to stay closer to home.”

Scott: “OSU offered you in April, so you didn’t take long making your choice. Can you tell me the story of what you were doing when OSU called to offer?”

Smith: “I was really just excited, really. I was just celebrating at home.”

Scott: “Some places your listed as an athlete, some you’re listed as a receiver, at OSU you’re going to be a defensive back. What do you like about the defensive side of the ball.”

Smith: “I like guarding people. I like defending people, guarding people.”

Scott: “You’re from Midwest City, Coach [Mike] Gundy is from Midwest City, did he have any funny stories about the hometown of anything during your recruitment?”

Smith: “Nah, not really. He didn’t tell me any funny stories, but he did tell me he was from here.”

Scott: “What did you think of Wednesday with the four guys committing? Was that fun to see?”

Smith: “Yeah, I feel like we’re gonna be great. Once everybody’s up there, we’re gonna be great.”

Scott: “What’s your relationship with Coach [Tim] Duffie like? What do you like about him?”

Smith: “He’s cool. He’s goofy, I like that about him. I’m comfortable with him already.”

Scott: “What do you mean he’s goofy?”

Smith: “He just says goofy stuff. It makes me laugh. I don’t really laugh that much, so.”

Scott: “With this pandemic and things being shutdown, how have you kind of stayed engaged, stayed in shape through the first part of this summer?”

Smith: “Yeah, I’ve been working out every morning, and since we’ve started football, it’s really just kept going. Before that, I was running and every morning I went to this community gym and lifted with my friends.”