PFB+ Film Study: A Look at OSU’s Offensive Scheme in Texas Tech Win (Part 2)

As promised, here is Part 2 of @dustinragusa24’s deep-dive into Oklahoma State’s offensive performance against Texas Tech. Check back tomorrow for Part 3.

Rushing Attack

Zone “Cap”

As a reminder, the terms Inside Zone and Outside Zone refer to blocking schemes that have the offensive linemen blocking specific gaps instead of a certain defender. If an O-lineman has a defender lined up in front of him, he blocks him. If he doesn’t have a defender lined up in front of him, then he steps toward the side the play is going and either helps double team block a defender or moves to the second level (think linebackers or safeties playing up near the line of scrimmage).

One of the ways the Cowboys found success on their zone runs against Tech was with a “cap” blocker. In previous film reviews from this season, I’ve talked about Split Zone, where the Cowboy back blocks across the formation. With “cap,” the Cowboy back will block the edge defender on the Cowboy back’s side of the formation, normally the linebacker in TTU’s defensive scheme. See an example below.

The Pokes also ran something similar out of one of the 12 personnel looks I mentioned in Part 1, with a Cowboy back on the line of scrimmage as a tight end and the other as the H-back on the same side of the formation. This “double cap” was mainly performed on the right side of the formation, allowing these two additional blockers to be paired with talented WVU transfer offensive lineman Josh Sills. This is shown in the following clip.

The line blocked the zone running plays well, and Jackson did an excellent job reading his blockers and finding the running lanes.

Power/QB Power Read

Power normally involves a lineman pulling around to the play side to lead block through the hole. This is different from a zone run in that the offense’s point of attack is predetermined. In the play below we see the backside guard pull around to the play side and lead block through the hole. In addition, the Cowboy back lined up in the fullback spot will kick out the edge defender, while the rest of the offensive linemen (including the other two Cowboy backs) block down, or away from the play side.

image-35

We also saw Dunn get the designed quarterback running game going in this one more than he has in any of the games prior (I’m assuming part due to defensive schemes and part due to Sanders being banged up), specifically the QB Power Read.

The blocking scheme is similar to the Power run shown above with the back-side guard pulling, but this time the quarterback is reading the defense and is making a decision to keep the ball inside or hand it off the to the outside. This is a play we saw run fairly frequently with the Taylor Cornelius-led offense of 2018.

In the video below you’ll see the Pokes utilize the fly motion with receiver Landon Wolf.

QB Sweep

Lastly, I wanted to touch on this play because it’s similar to the “Truck” sweep I touched on in the Bedlam and K-State film reviews. Truck consists of one bunch receiver blocking down on the defensive end, one blocking the defender over him and the third receiver “arc” blocking around to the second or third level as a lead blocker for the running back. In addition, the play side tackle will pull and also lead block for the running back. The rest of the line is basically blocking a zone scheme, but sometimes there is an additional pulling lineman. Here’s an example of this play against the Sooners.

However, against the Red Raiders, Dunn threw in a wrinkle by allowing the QB to be the ball carrier. Additionally, the running back, Jackson, went in motion to the outside to try and bring a defender out of the play.

Check back tomorrow for Part 3, where we’ll look at OSU’s passing attack.

4 Likes

Jackson made some really good reads. Impressive for someone who hasn’t played much over the last two years.

1 Like

It really is, he’s an impressive runner.

1 Like

@marshall is there way to see how many page clicks @dustinragusa24 articles generate. Seems like you might be wasting valuable server space with this trash.

Kidding. Maybe

3 Likes

Thanks for the comment! Gotta generate that activity on this post!

7 Likes

Dustin I always appreciate the posts. In the TTU game thread there was some dramatic discussion about RB performance comparisons - Chuba, LD, and now Dez. Just based on your detailed eye and watching film, have you seen anything different about how Chuba is running this year that would explain the difference in performance this year compared to last year? I know he’s been hurt but even before the injury, did you see anything from either Chuba, our offense, or the defense that might explain the discrepancy in performance. Not trying to start a war here over “who’s best” as they all play for the same team. Just curious what the expert (you) has seen that us arm chair fans maybe have not.

1 Like

Thanks! I really appreciate that!!

I think he’s just gotten a little too reliant on his cutbacks instead of trusting his o linemen. In a zone running scheme, the cutback is in play, but he seems to be cutting too early sometimes or just making the complete wrong cut sometimes.

Also, there could be a factor that he’s banged up, like you mentioned, and doesn’t want to get hurt more. Maybe running a little timid.

Those are all just guesses though. I know @AdamLunt and Mitch talked about it on Tape Doesn’t Lie recently too. I think their thoughts were kinda similar to what I mentioned on the cutbacks.

Edit: Hopefully that answered your question @cowgirl4life!

6 Likes

The Yards after Contact for Jackson were really impressive.

1 Like

For sure. He’s a powerful runner.

I totally agree @dustinragusa24. Last year he made his money on the cutback and making one guy miss. This year he hasn’t been able to do either. He’s not shifty. He’s a one cut, speed guy. For whatever reason neither of those have worked as well as they did last season.

1 Like

However, I honestly think against Tech, all three guys would’ve had success. The O line was dominant against them and Dunn knew what was working (zone running game, specifically outside zone) and kept going back to it.

3 Likes

I’m just glad to see the author didn’t feel the need to explain GT Counter for the 8,341st time this article.

6 Likes